User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:42:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
DISCUSSION: July 25-27th, 2008: Powerlifting
(Read 42575 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 06:55:51 pm »

...and we are done! The results will be published within the next 24 hours give or take. As usual, I will send out an e-mail to notify everyone when the meet is live.

BIG THANKS to Chris Cooper and Joseph Reiter for the judging. Fun as it may be, we should not forget that the judges chip in with their time to allow everyone else to compete... no judges, no meets. So thanks guys!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 10:49:05 pm »

Unfortunately, I just noticed that five judge calls from one judge in squat round 2 are missing. This is most likely due to a bug in the judging interface that slipped in before this meet. I have set up a temporary page for the judge to manually re-review these lifts and send me the calls. When I get the answers, I can move forward with releasing the meet. Naturally, I will fix this bug for the next meet so we don't end up with the same issue then.

Hang on and sorry for the hickup.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 05:20:21 am »

I got the missing calls. Everything looks set for releasing the meet tonight. Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 12:14:28 am »

The meet has been released! The rankings, lifter stats etc. will be updated tomorrow.

Thanks to all lifters who took part in this exciting meet, that, among other things, saw Kat Ricker become the first woman to complete a virtual powerlifting meet and a tight struggle for the deadlift record between Ron Villani and Kevin Boone. It was also a joy to see more new faces in these meets, hope all of you felt like you got what you expected out of the experience... and then some!

The registration for the September 5-7th Deadlift-only meet will open as soon as this meet has been concluded.
Chris Cooper
Judge

Canada Canada Male 27 posts
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 05:04:07 pm »

Hi all - great effort by all lifters.  There were a few clips (especially in the squat) that I had to watch up to a dozen times before making a call.  One thing I learned as a judge: it's wise to wear contrasting clothing pieces on the top and bottom of your body.  In a few videos, a lifter wearing all-dark clothing was very tough to judge on depth.  Especially if the lighting is poor, make sure the judge can see where the crease of your hip is!  I'll know myself for the next full meet now, so thanks, Kris, for giving me the opportunity to judge!  I always learn something when I'm judging!
PS Sign me up as a competitor in the DL - only meet!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 12:02:59 am »

Excellent points Chris!

Despite using the angles recommended in the rules, the hip or knees so essential for a reliable depth gauge are all too easily obstructed by the rack. We should add clearer instructions to check for this to the rules and checklist. The best way to ensure that the lifts are judgable is to tape a test lift and adjust as needed. In most cases, the judges are able to make an informed decision, but we have had some lifts in past meets that have been flagged as "not judgeable" by one or more judges. Perhaps we should not hesitate to use that call a bit more often? It sucks to drop out of a meet due to bad videotaping angles, but in the end that would result in lifters putting in extra effort to get a good angle.

Still, the reality is that getting a perfect angle is not always possible due to cramped spaces and/or obstructing equipment. Lifters and judges will just have to do their best under the circumstances, but not at the expense of passing lifts where it is impossible to tell what's what.

A recommendation to wear contrasting colors is also something to consider, but enforcing such a rule would be over the top in my opinion.

That said, the video submissions have been getting better and better meet by meet so things are actually looking quite good on this front now.  Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 12:07:17 am »

The meet has been fully released now with the rankings, statistics (front page and meet page) and lifter home pages updated (including the linkable tracker images which show your best lifts).

Ron Villani really made a splash on the rankings taking first place on the total, bench press and deadlift. Kevin Boone hoisted the biggest deadlift of the day (254kg/560lbs) by narrowly outlifting Ron and put Matt Reed's previous record behind him. Ron, being a masters lifter aged 50, still grabbed it with a comfortable five point lead. Speaking of which, Brian Long posted a huge 20.4 kg/45 lbs improvement on his deadlift over the March meet with impressive improvements in squat poundages and depth too clocking in second in the meet. If you have the time Brian, I would be curious to hear what kind of deadlift / meet prep program you did for this one.

Let's not forget that next meet is deadlift only...  Wink
Brian Long
Lifter

United States United States Male 16 posts
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 11:37:56 am »

I have been training using Westside principles for about a year. But after the July meet I switched to a Sheiko routine in training for a local meet. I just can't seem to get any big gains on my bench with Westside. See what Sheiko can do.

I was a little disappointed actually in my final squat and deadlift numbers as my last attempts were rejected by 2 of the judges. I really wanted that 400 lb. on the squat! I will make some adjustments and these numbers will be there next time. Anyways thanks for a great website and fun place to display the hard work that all powerlifters put in.

Ron Villani put up some big numbers, what is some bench training tips?

Ron Villani
Judge

United States United States Male 14 posts
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 09:34:15 pm »

Brian, If there is a particular tip you want to know about my bench press training or any other training, please ask away. I'll be glad to help.          Ron Villani
Brian Long
Lifter

United States United States Male 16 posts
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 02:45:06 am »

Ron, do you follow the widely popular speed and max effort days when training? I am having trouble developing that all important back arch (due to the fact that I am not as flexible as I should be) that I believe is needed for big benching. Any advice/tricks to developing the arch? What excercises do you feel develop/carry over to raw benching gains?

Sorry for so many questions but my bench has increased 10 pounds in 5 months and I am going stir crazy to unlock this puzzle! 
Ron Villani
Judge

United States United States Male 14 posts
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 01:19:34 pm »

Brian, I,ll be glad to answer all your questions about my training. Please go to the community forum page, Powerlifting training. Thanks.  Ron
joseph reiter
Judge

United States United States Male 4 posts
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 04:35:43 pm »

hey all,
let me say that I am seriuosly impressed with the physical power and the heart of all involved in the lifting of virtualmeet.net.  You all have my utmost respect. good job!
Trey Scott
Lifter

United States United States Male 2 posts
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 09:49:53 pm »

Just signed up here.  Nice job by all competitors.  I thought the judging was strict, but fair. 

I hope to do the full meet at the first of December.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 10:23:16 pm »

Trey, welcome to Virtualmeet.net! Smiley Looking forward to seeing your in the December meet, best of luck with your meet prep.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Close