User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:24:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
REGISTER: Weightlifting/Powerlifting, 17-22 August (Gathering meets)
(Read 16216 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:32:46 am »

This thread is to sign-up for the 2010 (Virtual) Gathering meets: the 17-22 August Powerlifting meet AND the 17-22 August Weightlifting meet. Like last year, there is also the opportunity to
lift at the Gathering in person on Saturday 21st

Questions and comments concerning this meet should be posted in the discussion thread.

The deadline for lifters to sign up is Friday, August 13th at 10PM GMT; after this date, only judge sign-ups will be accepted.

MEET OPPORTUNITY 1 (workweek):
** 17th is on a Tuesday
** 18th is on a Wednesday
** 19th is on a Thursday

MEET OPPORTUNITY 2 (weekend):
** 20th is on a Friday
** 21st is on a Saturday
** 22nd is on a Sunday

To sign up for the meet, simply post a quick reply here saying a) which meet (powerlifting or weightlifting... or both!) you will be lifting in and b) on which meet opportunity (workweek or weekend, you are free to pick the precise date among those).

Signing up for the meet implies that you:
  • HAVE READ AND ACCEPTED THE RULES (the LATEST version of the rules!)
  • AFFIRM YOUR DRUG-FREE STATUS (again, see the rules)
  • REALLY AIM AT DOING THE MEET, not just thinking about it. Of course, injuries and life can happen, so you are naturally free to cancel your entry if needed.

Further instructions on how to submit the video footage etc. will be sent out via e-mail to all participants after the sign-up deadline has passed.

Those who wish to judge should also sign-up in this thread.

To make sure that you don't forget anything essential, we highly recommend using the checklist as a supplement to the rules.

Hope to meet you on the virtual platform (or at Toffe's Gym if you can make it!).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:41:29 am by kris » Logged
Alberto Caraballo
Lifter

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Male 25 posts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:35:20 am »

Sign me up, Kris.  I will do the August 20th date, and I am 100% drug free.
Ben Crispin
Judge

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 25 posts
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:17:24 am »

I'll judge please Kris.

Ben
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 02:35:29 pm »

Thanks guys!

But remember to tell me which meet you are up for lest I sign you up for both. Cheesy This is the first time we have two separate meets in the same thread, thought I'd try to that for communality but let's see if it just turns confusing instead.
Kat Ricker
Lifter

United States United States Female 79 posts
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:28 pm »

Sign me up for the Sat, Aug. 21 weightlifting meet, altho is there still flexibility to change that day up until the last week? (Sunday might end up working better).

Keep it fun or you won't keep it
Alberto Caraballo
Lifter

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Male 25 posts
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:00:30 pm »

Sorry, Kris, I will be doing the powerlifting meet.

Hey, so who is joing you in Vaasa besides Christian and Mans?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »

Hey Kat, great to see you back!

Sign me up for the Sat, Aug. 21 weightlifting meet, altho is there still flexibility to change that day up until the last week? (Sunday might end up working better).

Even better. Beginning with the July Bench meet, we started experimenting with lengthening the meets to include a "workweek" meet opportunity (Tue-Thu) in addition to the standard weekend meet opportunity (Fri-Sun). Under this system, you only need to specify whether you will be lifting in the workweek or weekend meet. You are then free to lift on any of those three days without letting me know in advance. So come Saturday, you can still decide to go at it on Sunday instead.

In hindsight, limiting the lifter to a single meet date in order to mimic the real-world meet mentality of "meet day, lift or do not" was not worth the occasional schedule headaches this caused. The weekend is also not the best meet time for many lifters so always having meets then can be a bit discriminating. So at the moment we're playing with loosening things up a bit to make the meets more lifter friendly. Seen from this angle, this is actually leveraging the virtual format to make meets fit in better with the realities of life. This whole virtual meet concept is by no means finalized and I'm trying my best to let it evolve (not always the easiest thing, thanks to the Finnish lifters who were major catalysts behind this change).
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:27:45 pm »

Alberto, thanks! I kind of guessed that you were going for the powerlifting meet. Smiley

Hey, so who is joing you in Vaasa besides Christian and Mans?

That's the Gathering 2010 crew so far, let's see if anyone still hooks up. Too bad teleportation has not yet turned into mature technology. When that happens, we can dispense with using the web as our platform and instead teleport ourselves into a common meet venue (and that is probably when the virtual meets will turn into bonafide official meets...). Wink
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 08:07:59 pm »

Registering for the powerlifiting meet in Finland. I am drug free and want to lift on Saturday.

Looking forward to another awesome Gathering.
Warren Djemal
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 88 posts
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:49:59 pm »

Hell yes, been looking forward to this. Count me in for WL on the weekend.
Wade Dare
Lifter

United States United States Male 493 posts
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 09:08:37 am »

I have read the rules, am drug free (though addled anyway) and would like to compete in the powerlifting meet on August 20.

A stitch in time means that someone repaired a hole in the fabric of the universe.
Warren Djemal
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 88 posts
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 06:14:21 pm »

Aaand I need to unregister myself, due to injury. Again. Tendon damage to the knee, out of action for up to three weeks. Nothing but upper body work on my training horizon.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 06:11:23 pm »

This is the final line-up for the powerlifting and weightlifting meet this week. I'm happy to report that a whopping 50% of all lifters are lifting on location at the Gathering this year. Grin The weather forecast looks good so far with a sunny Friday and a cloudy but rain-free meet Saturday. Based on night temperatures, a best guess is that the late evening meet will take place in about 13'C/55'F weather.

Best of luck to everyone! And if anyone not lifting in the meets feel up to some judging, please PM or e-mail me at kris@virtualmeet.net. Warren Djemal's unfortunate injury led to him switching from lifting to judging, but at the time of writing we are still looking for two judges for each meet.

POWERLIFTING

Workweek, Tue-Thu (August 17-19th)

Weekend (August 20th-22nd)

1. Alberto Caraballo (Puerto Rico)
2. Christian Burger, lifting at the Gathering (Austria) (out due to illness)
3. Wade Dare (United States)
4. Måns Rinne, lifting at the Gathering (Finland) (unable to make it)
5. Kristoffer Lindqvist, lifting at the Gathering (Finland) (healing up)

Judges

1. Ben Crispin (United Kingdom)
2. Christian Burger (Austria)

WEIGHTLIFTING

Weekend (August 20th-22nd)

1. Kat Ricker (United States)

Judges

1. Warren Djemal (United Kingdom)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:44:39 pm by kris » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: