User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:31:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
DISCUSSION: Weightlifting, 6-8 February 2009
(Read 42804 times)
Warren Djemal
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 88 posts
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:02 pm »

This was my first meet too. Things I learned:

1) Don't O lift in a flat above ground floor, your neighbours won't like it
2) Don't dump missed lifts on your thighs, it hurts
3) Don't get drunk 2 days before a meet, it's retarded

Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 04:22:04 pm »

This was my first meet too. Things I learned:

1) Don't O lift in a flat above ground floor, your neighbours won't like it
2) Don't dump missed lifts on your thighs, it hurts
3) Don't get drunk 2 days before a meet, it's retarded

Grin Grin Grin That's a classic.
Kat Ricker
Lifter

United States United States Female 79 posts
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 04:26:10 pm »

Had a great meet, inspiring to have so many lifters under various countries' flags. Also great to have so many chicks in this one.

I ran three - count 'em three - space heaters in my stone-cold winter shop for this one. Didn't dedicate to video wearing my husband's pants over my shorts to keep warm in between lifts!  Wink

Put Portland Oregon Weightlifting on the virtual meet map this time.  Grin

Keep it fun or you won't keep it
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »

I ran three - count 'em three - space heaters in my stone-cold winter shop for this one. Didn't dedicate to video wearing my husband's pants over my shorts to keep warm in between lifts!  Wink

Haha, I was lifting in the cold as well, it was a couple degrees below freezing in the morning.  The first half of my warmup was getting the heater on the bar and warming it up so it wasn't so cold to hold on to.  Immediately after each lift I went and put on a long sleeve jacket and pants.  Hopefully by the next meet I'll have heat in the place.  (or it'll be warmer outside, maybe even both)
Kat Ricker
Lifter

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 06:28:29 pm »

LOL
The first half of my warmup was getting the heater on the bar and warming it up so it wasn't so cold to hold on to. 
Ha ha! This'll help me enjoy your clips in a whole 'nother way  Wink Yup, I propped the bar across the bench and a chair in front of the heater to get it manageable.
Makes for good war stories, but I'm looking forward to those spring meets!  Grin

Thomas Thekan
Registered member

Canada Canada Male 20 posts
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 10:25:34 pm »

That must mean that at the university, we lift in luxury. We have heat and electric lights. We just keep running out of batteries and memory.

Can't wait for the PL meet in March. Some of the girls already started the new workout today in prep for that meet. I expect to see some good DL's and squats from the rowers.

Kat did you use your 2 x 4 parking brake to keep the bar from rolling across the floor. That's classic.

TNT
Kat Ricker
Lifter

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 10:31:36 pm »

Kat did you use your 2 x 4 parking brake to keep the bar from rolling across the floor. That's classic.

TNT

Bwahahaha! Indeed, fully braked.

University gyms ROCK! Great, we'll get a peek at a Canadian U gym!

Now just tell me how I can stop running out of memory and I'll be all set  Wink

Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 10:34:20 pm »

As mentioned earlier, the Catalyst members had the luxury of attending an OLY seminar before the meet on Saturday. And the best of it all? Chris has shared the seminar with Nick Zossima on Vimeo. Catalyst continues to impress!

Read more about it on the Catalyst blog (and see some inspiring unedited content from the Push-Pull!)
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 12:31:46 am »

Update: the meet has now been passed to the judges. As usual, they have one week to finish the judging, i.e. Wednesday, February 18th.

The judging progress can be followed in real time in the "6-8 WEIGHTLIFTING MEET JUDGING PROGRESS" box above the forum.

Stay tuned!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 11:56:39 pm »

The judging has been finished. I'll try to get the meet out tomorrow Thursday or Friday.

Many thanks to the judges! Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 01:02:58 am »

The meet has been released! As usual the rankings, stats etc. have also been updated. A big big thanks to the judges and all who participated. Another meet with solid lifting, check it out!

This was also a historic meet being the first meet with more women than men (8 to 7), mainly thanks to the strong representation by the UOIT rowing team. It's great to see the number of female lifters on the increase. Smiley

Warren Djemal
Lifter

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 01:43:49 am »

Err... you got my age wrong - I'm still 26.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 06:31:59 am »

Err... you got my age wrong - I'm still 26.

We follow the praxis in weightlifting and powerlifting to determine competition age based on calendar year. For example, the International Powerlifting Federation (IPF) rules define the Master I age division as follows:

MASTER I: From January 1 in the calendar year he reaches 40 through the full calendar year in which he reaches 49.

In other words, if you turn 27 sometime in 2009 your competition age will be 27 for the whole year. The age coefficients used in the relative strength formulas are thus also based on calendar years.

Now, it's no small wonder if you are not aware of this even after reading the rules, because this crucial piece of information seems to be missing. It is explained in the instructions for how to use the Rankings calculator, but obviously it should also be in the rules and elsewhere where age is mentioned. I will update the rules with this information some time next week. Thanks a lot for bringing this oversight to my attention. Smiley
Warren Djemal
Lifter

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 09:54:37 am »

I see! Thanks for clearing my premature ageing up.
Kat Ricker
Lifter

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 04:45:33 pm »

That's fascinating! I learned something this morning already.

Thanks judges and Kris. Thank you lifters for a great meet. The filming seemed especially clean to me, so it was easy to watch everyone's lifts.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Close