User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:52:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
DISCUSSION: Weightlifting, 6-8 February 2009
(Read 42955 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:15:30 am »

This thread is for all discussion related to the 6-8 February 2009 Weightlifting meet.

Sign-up here
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:33:29 pm »

The clock is ticking, less than 24 hours left to sign up for the meet now. So far 15 lifters are in. Great to see so many new faces signed up. The number of women participating is at a record high! Smiley

Update to follow tomorrow after the meet sign-up deadline has passed.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:14:44 pm »

The sign-up deadline has now passed. 18 lifters, an even balance of women and men (a historical first!!), representing Bulgaria, Canada (13 lifters!), Switzerland, The United Kingdom and The United States signed up. The final line-up can be seen here.

The meet information with the upload instructions will be sent out after the uploading finishes for the Push-Pull meet in progress. This will keep me from having overlapping upload accounts open at the same time.

Meanwhile, the customary hunt for judges has begun. The line-up will be updated accordingly.

Thanks to everyone who signed up! You are all very much contributing to getting virtual weightlifting solidly airborne. Smiley And remember folks, feel free to use this thread for discussing anything in relation to the meet.

Have a great one everyone!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 10:38:42 pm »

Good news everyone! Ron Dykstra (Canada) and Ron Villani (USA) graciously agreed to judge. Both of these gentlemen know their lifts, so you're all in good hands. They were also both judges in our inaugural weightlifting meet held in October 2008.

Thanks guys for again coming to the rescue. Smiley

One more judge to go and we're all set.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:18:12 pm »

Lifters: you should now have received upload instructions via e-mail. If you haven't or have any questions whatsoever, please e-mail me at kristoffer@virtualmeet.net.

One week left... Good luck! Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »

The judging panel is now fully manned thanks to Jamie Jamieson (Canada) who agreed to judge.

Thanks Jamie! Smiley
Lisa Harrington
Lifter

Canada Canada Female 4 posts
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:44:34 pm »

Hi there, Im lifting in this meet with all the rowers in canada. is it ok for me to lift on Friday not Sunday? something came up and i REALLY dont want to back out!! Im so excited for these lifts and im ready to get a new personal best with my friends!!
thanks!
Lisa
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:21:33 am »

Hi there, Im lifting in this meet with all the rowers in canada. is it ok for me to lift on Friday not Sunday?

Lisa, you can lift. There has been some talk about allowing the meet date to be changed closer to the meet and I think it is time we go ahead with that rule change. I posted a suggestion on the current rule thread for feedback.

Have a great meet! Smiley
Neysa Laszkiewicz
Lifter

Canada Canada Female 4 posts
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 01:36:14 am »

Hi Kris,

I am also lifting with the rowers from Canada, and I was curious if it would be okay for me too to lift on Friday and not on the Sunday. This would be of great conveinence and it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Neysa
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:48:17 am »

I am also lifting with the rowers from Canada, and I was curious if it would be okay for me too to lift on Friday and not on the Sunday. This would be of great conveinence and it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Neysa

Virtualmeet.net is built around the concept of simulating a real meet to the extent possible. Real meets also have fixed meet dates and learning to peak on meet date is a big part of the game. Hence we have a deadline for how close to the meet the date can be changed. But in the interest of giving users a bit more room for conflicting schedule changes, I suggested earlier that the change date is moved closer to the meet. I allowed Lisa to change her lift date as the time for her request was quite in line with the suggested new deadline. There is more on the above mentioned rule thread about this and all feedback is welcome there. Basically, asking to change the meet date one day out is pushing it...  Wink

So in the end it is a question of whether this limitation is a good thing for the Virtualmeet.net concept or not. Personally, I think so. But in the end, this concept could look radically different, say being able to lift any time over the three days, perhaps also being able to take as many attempts as one wants and submit the three attempts one things are best.

So in short: under the current rules you are not allowed to change lift date this close to the meet.
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 08:57:23 pm »

I'm a couple hours late getting my last files on the server.  My computer power supply appears to be dying and my uploads failed last night and this morning.  I was able to get my lifts on a friends machine and am uploading them from there as I type.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 10:43:47 pm »

Jeff, thanks for the update. I just reviewed your upload and everything seems to be in fine order. Thanks a lot for participating!

Lisa Harrington, who also lifted on Friday, also completed her upload earlier so the Friday lifters are done.

So far so good. Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 01:04:53 am »

Most of the lifters are uploaded now. The meet should be with the judges Tuesday or Wednesday.
Chris Cooper
Judge

Canada Canada Male 27 posts
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 11:51:31 am »

Hi Kris - thanks again, we had a fun meet.  Wish I'd done our OLY seminar before the meet!  This is my first time competing at these lifts, and as the judges will see, my technique can use some work.  Why the heck I couldn't drop under 200 is a mystery.
To judges: on our lifts, the weight listed in the filename is correct.  There's one lift by Luc where the cameraman (uh, me) says, "185lbs" but it's really 175lbs, as is obvious by the plates loaded on the bar (one red 45, two green 10s.)  Sorry for the confusion!
Chris
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 11:57:33 am »

Thanks Chris! It's a delightful trend that so many people are bravely taking on the OLY lifts with little or no prior experience; there's definitively some bridges being built and the number of people who are sporting both the powerlifts and the OLY lifts on their home pages is increasing steadily. You weren't the only one in this meet who was a first timer. I will myself get under the bar for the next weightlifting meet in April... let's see who could use a clinic then.  Wink

Thanks for the update on the weights, will also mail this info to the judges to make sure they catch it.

Thanks again to the whole Catalyst crew for participating! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Close