User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
BENCH
(Read 9421 times)
Ryan Rigdon
Judge

United States United States Male 308 posts
« on: May 19, 2008, 12:11:51 am »

I THINK IF A PERSON IS ONLY DOING A BENCH COMPETITION, THAT THE PERSON SHOULD BE GIVEN A FOURTH ATTEMPT IF HE OR SHE MADE THEIR THIRD ATTEMPT. WHAT DOES EVERYONE ELSE THINK?
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:38:54 pm »

Good to see some action here on the technical questions board, all ideas and suggestions for how we can improve are warmly welcome!

Fourth attempts are pretty standard in most, if not all, federations for the purpose of record attempts. When I initially compiled the rules, I did consider various kinds of fourth attempts, including being allowed to take one for setting a site record, or even a personal record, but I could not come up with a good model for how they could be used in our virtual setting.

Firstly, like you indicate, fourth attempts are generally only allowed if the third attempt was successful. But since attempts are judged after the fact, the lifter cannot know for sure whether the lift actually was approved. Experienced lifters will be able to quite reasonably predict whether they were successful, but less seasoned lifters can have very false ideas of what a good lift is like. So if we allow fourth lifts, they would have to be granted on some other grounds than having a successful third lift.

Having fourth attempts for recording breaking purposes is also tricky. If we allow fourth attempts for setting personal records, then fourth attempts will likely become the norm rather than the exception. Nothing stops us from developing our own meet format with four or even more attempts per se, but since one of the major aims for the site is to reasonably simulate the real deal I tend to favor not departing too far from tradition.

If we were to allow fourth attempts for setting site records, lifters would need to punch their attempts into the relative strength calculator as we keep records based on relative strength scores, not absolute weight by weight classes.

To sum up, fourth attempts may be a good idea if we only can come up with a good way of integrating them into our virtual meets without turning them into regular four attempt events. So keep the ideas coming!  Smiley
Ryan Rigdon
Judge

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:09:46 pm »

what about having a virtual board of records. have weight classes and let people set records for them. and so when we compete on these meets we can put them there. and if someone sets a record on the board then that person on the next meet will be granted a fourth attempt. just an idea.
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:43:35 pm »

That could work. It would introduce a clear system for who can take fourth attempts and these lifters could be notified of this option when they sign up for the meet. But this suggestion introduces a whole new issue, i.e. the question of whether we should have weight classes.

At the moment we don't. The concept hinges around putting everyone on the same stage and creating a unified ranking list instead of segmenting competition into traditional weight classes. Hence we use relative strength formulas to account for weight and age. Opinions on what model is best are likely to diverge, but for now I see little reason to introduce weight classes. That said, it would not be an impossibility to combine both worlds by having a unified ranking list and also records by weight classes, but whether this is the way we should go is an interesting question in its own right. If anyone has thoughts for or against in this regard, I'm all ears.  Smiley

Ryan Rigdon
Judge

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:36:54 am »

lmk what you decide. would be great to see. and i will be doing one bench meet in november i beleive will shoot for a 520 raw bench. my website is up as well. take a look if you have the time www.rigdonspowerlifting.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close