User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:09:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
How Useful Have You Found Partial Movements to Be?
(Read 5771 times)
Wade Dare
Lifter

United States United States Male 493 posts
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:11:07 am »

I get a lot out of partial squats and high DLs.  Everybody knows about board presses, but I was wondering what others' experiences were with them.  I've been hearing that some folks get nothing from partial movements.

A stitch in time means that someone repaired a hole in the fabric of the universe.
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »

Hi Wade,

I have been following the Huge In a Hurry "Get Stronger" & "Get Even Stronger" plans. In there Chad Waterbury asks for a lot of partial moves, like quarter squats and fast partial front squats.
I found it difficult to assess the carry over. However, going near 1 RM now feels a lot more secure.
I am looking forward to the Gathering in Finland, to finally test my squat to see how it is affected.
Alberto Caraballo
Lifter

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Male 25 posts
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 03:01:38 am »

Used right, the boards work.  Like all partials, do not get away from the full range movement for too long or it will suffer.  Some combinations I have used with the boards are:

Combo 1: Dynamic Bench Press: 8 sets of 3 at 60% 1RM; 3, 4, or 5-Board Bench Press: 3 sets of 3, last set is a 3Rm at the end of a 3 week wave

Combo 2: 2 or 3-Board Press worked to a 5, 3, or 1RM; Blast Strap Pushups for 3 sets of max reps.

Combo 3: Flat Bench Press worked to a 5, 3, or 1RM; Triceps Death using 60% of bench 1RM (2 board for max reps, no rest, 3 board for max reps, no rest, 4 board for max reps, no rest, 5 board for max reps) for 2 sets.

Before I did the Gathering last year, my flat bench had started to go stale so I switched to a 2-Board and that helped.

In the Elite FTS beginners Training Manual,  the order of the Max Effort 3 week waves are: 2-Board Press, Floor Press, Close Grip Bench Press, 3-Board Press.  Combined with the 1-speed day and it gave me a very fast bench.  For the Squat/DL, it  is: Close Stance Low Box Squats(about 2 inches below Parallel), Deficit Deadlifts  (3-4 inches), High Box Squats (2 inches above parallel), Rack Pulls 1-2 inches below the knee.

Just some ideas for you, good luck.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close