User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:28:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Brian Long, nice increase on bench
(Read 6126 times)
Ron Villani
Judge

United States United States Male 14 posts
« on: January 18, 2009, 03:41:49 pm »

Brian, Great bench in last meet. I was just wondering if any or part of my tips helped or did you try something entirely different. Ron Villani
Brian Long
Lifter

United States United States Male 16 posts
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 02:46:54 am »

Thanks. Yes I did take some of your advice and drop the DE bench days from my weekly routines. I occasionally will do them if I feel overtrained. The biggest thing I changed is I am now following a peaking routine about 6 weeks out from a meet and I seem to be making good progress.
Essentially what I do is 6 weeks out I take 30lbs off of my max bench and do 6 sets of three followed by the heaviest dumbbells I can manage for 3 sets of 5 reps with additional tricep work to follow. Each week I add 5 lbs. to my bench sets and go up in db presses when I can handle the 5 rep weight easily. Now on my usual DE bench days I am doing another tricep day focusing on the upper end of the bench groove because I have noticed from videos I tend to stall about half way in the stroke. I have used the same system for my squat just changing the numbers to max-40lbs. and adding ten weekly.
I seem to be getting great results so far following this on my bench and squat. I am now trying to unlock my deadlift mystery.
Nothin to fancy just good hard work on the identified weaknesses.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 02:57:25 am by blong » Logged
Ron Villani
Judge

United States United States Male 14 posts
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:08:21 pm »

Brian, It sounds like a good training system your using, as long as your making good progress stay with it. If you should start to plateau on this program,as everyone will experience. Just cut back a set or two, but keep your progressive overload increase. When that does'nt do the trick, cut back on your workout frequency, that always worked for me. Best of luck. Ron Villani
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close