User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Full meet, September 7-9th 2007
(Read 44733 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 09:00:23 pm »

Editing down mine, Emmie's and Jen's videos now, should have them to you by this evening.

Editing is fine if you have long clips, just make sure to avoid or go easy on compression unless the clips are huge (straight out of a DV camera they can easily be 100MB plus) or you are on a slow connection. The server has about 30GB of free space for uploads at the moment plus all files are compressed as Flash Video for the judges on the server, so if it makes things easier at your end, feel warmly welcome to just upload the raw footage. Really looking forward to seeing your lifts and catch a glimpse of Primal Fitness. The graffiti and all specialty equipment for parkour and what not makes it look more than a tad different from your ordinary gym...
Jennifer Conlin
Lifter

United States United States Female 9 posts
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 10:04:16 pm »

I agree with Jesse. I felt like the air was thick or some strange thing like that. Still I had a great time with it. Jesse is the MAN for doing all the vid for us. Thanks!
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 11:40:36 am »

Altogether the meet was a very good experience for me. Not the least, because it showed me where to improve and on what to focus for the next training period. After all, after the meet means before the next meet.
On my first squat attempt I was more focused if I got the camera right then on the depth. In general I need to work on getting a better feel for my squat depth.
I underestimated how beat up I would be when time came to DL.

Looking forward to see everybodys performance and the judging.
Matt Reed
Judge

United States United States Male 251 posts
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 12:43:35 pm »

Altogether the meet was a very good experience for me. Not the least, because it showed me where to improve and on what to focus for the next training period. After all, after the meet means before the next meet.
On my first squat attempt I was more focused if I got the camera right then on the depth. In general I need to work on getting a better feel for my squat depth.
I underestimated how beat up I would be when time came to DL.

Looking forward to see everybodys performance and the judging.

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I usually face the mirror I have in my gym, but to be able to have the right camera angle I had to turn myself around and couldn't see myself squat.  This is definitely something I need to work on, knowing when I hit depth without seeing it.  Plus like someone else had mentioned I think gravity had increased the day I lifted, lol.  Knowing that you are going to be judged for your lifts and watching yourself on video lift really brings out those areas where you say, "man, I can't believe I did that". 

I still feel really embarrassed about my squat performance, but I guess that gives me something to improve on.   Knowing people are watching those videos almost makes me want to crawl in a hole.

Also want to say congrats to everyone that competed and can't wait until the next meet.  It's really awesome to be able to lift with people you otherwise wouldn't be able to meet or lift with in person.

Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 09:17:40 pm »

A quick update: 1.4 gigabytes of meet video is now being compressed and prepared for handing over to the judges. I am still missing the lifter info for one lifter, but that should be taken care of shortly. It is after midnight here in Finland now, so the judges will have to wait until sometime tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for doing a stellar job with the video taping (good angles folks!), file naming etc. Plenty of exciting material, can't wait to share it with you... but first things first.  Grin
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 11:20:37 pm »

The meet with its 105 video clips have now been passed on to the three judges! The goal is to have the judging phase finished within one week from now, i.e. September 22nd.

Last meet was not automated in any way: judges downloaded several hundred megabytes of raw clips and handed back scoresheets based on which I calculated final scores, rankings and so on (a painful experience even with only five lifters). For this meet, the submitted video clips have been converted to Flash Video on the server with all the lift data simultaneously being pulled into a database (hence the complicated file naming scheme). All submitted video and lift data were then written out to a series of web pages that unfold round by round in the same sequence as a real meet: three rounds on the squat, bench and deadlift, with each round going from the lightest bar weight to the heaviest, and men and women lifting in the same round. The judges can only review one round at a time and cannot go back once they have judged a round (much like in a real meet).

Once all judges have finished, the final results and rankings will be collated by a script. Meanwhile, I have added a counter to the forum main index that updates every few minutes with information on how the judging progresses. The final videos are still likely to be hand-edited for this meet, so expect it to take at least a few days after the judging has been finished before the final results are out. Things will continue to speed up as the meet software evolves, for now please bare with me. The next meet(s) will be announced as soon as the results are out.

If anyone has any questions at this point, shoot!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 07:38:56 pm »

The goal is to have the judging phase finished within one week from now, i.e. September 22nd.

The counter has stopped. Stinn, Ryan and Tim did a very efficient job doing their bit over the weekend. Thanks guys!!!

I for my part will now push forward with preparing the meet for release, stay tuned.
Måns Rinne
Staff  [Moderator, Finnish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 57 posts
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 12:35:21 pm »

I trust we (Kris and I) have had the best airconditioning available on the planet; i.e. we lifted at the outdoor gym in the woods in Vaasa... A cool video it shall be, let me tell you. Having had a sneaky preview (pre-hear actually) of the music, it'll be really cool... Smiley

Anything is possible, except maybe skiing through a revolving door.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2007, 02:22:16 pm »

Once all judges have finished, the final results and rankings will be collated by a script.

This phase is now mostly done, saw the final collated results for the first time yesterday. The reason this is taking some time is that I am writing the scripts to automate this as I go, once they are done this phase will be reduced to a matter of minutes. I am also down with either a bout of food poisoning or stomach flu, so things are progressing in small bouts at the moment. Hopefully, the result with video will be out sometime next week.
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 06:34:22 am »

Thanks for the efforts. It is much appreciated.
Jesse Woody
Lifter

United States United States Male 4 posts
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 10:40:22 pm »

Definitely thanks a ton! As much work as handling videos can be on our end, I can't even imagine stepping up and taking care of so much footage at one time!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 09:55:11 pm »

The meet will be released tomorrow Sunday. Those of you who plan to watch the whole thing, prepare your munchies!  Grin
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 01:25:20 pm »

Three weeks after the fact, the meet has been released and the rankings updated!

As usual, the edited meet video can be grabbed either from Virtualmeet.net or via YouTube, the main difference being a higher sound and video quality of the Virtualmeet.net one.

Let the discussion commence! I will probably have more to say about this meet, but for now I need some R&R from the plenty of work it took to get this out for you. Thanks again to all lifters and, especially the judges, for taking part in this meet!
Christine Petty
Judge

United States United States Female 6 posts
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 06:32:58 pm »

Awesome Kris!

Jamie Jamieson
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 8 posts
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 07:19:52 pm »

Thanks for all your hard work Kris.  The system you have put together is really unique.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Close