User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:30:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
DISCUSSION: Deadlift, 22-27 February 2011
(Read 27711 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:08:02 pm »

All questions, comments and discussion on the 22-27 February Deadlift meet is warmly welcome here.

Sign-up here
Ginger Zakari
Lifter

United States United States Female 16 posts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:09 pm »

Hi.

I was just wondering what your preference was for an obviously missed lift...

(1) submit the video anyway
or
(2) don't send the video

My specific situation is a 3rd attempt deadlift missed
an inch or two off the floor.
Ben Crispin
Judge

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 25 posts
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:25:35 pm »

Hi Ginger, I'd say don't bother if it is a clear miss. If it is at all ambiguous upload and you might get the benefit of the doubt.
Ginger Zakari
Lifter

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:29:35 pm »

Oops. Already sent it...but that makes sense.

Also, I put "no lift" as part of the title on that clip.

Thanks!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:36:50 pm »

If you browse around the meets, you'll see plenty of bars getting stuck on the chest, squats ending up on the pins and deadlifts being glued to the floor. Submitting all footage is very much part of the current Virtualmeet concept of keeping the feel of a real meet with its ups and downs. From a spectator standpoint, it also makes the meets much more exciting to follow and keeps the rounds coherent. So thanks for uploading! Smiley

The rulebook is also pretty clear on this:

Video of all attempts must be submitted for judging, including possible failed attempts.

That said, we will not publish embarrassing clips (clothes falling off mid squat?) or nasty injuries.

A nice thought. Smiley But it doesn't really help as I will need to remove it anyway since the scripts that extracts the lift data out of the clip names will choke on it. No worries though, that's part of routine meet clean-up, most meets need their share of minor manual intervention here and there.

And thanks for taking part again! Looking forward to seeing the lifts.
Ginger Zakari
Lifter

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:57:02 am »

If you browse around the meets, you'll see plenty of bars getting stuck on the chest, squats ending up on the pins and deadlifts being glued to the floor. Submitting all footage is very much part of the current Virtualmeet concept of keeping the feel of a real meet with its ups and downs. From a spectator standpoint, it also makes the meets much more exciting to follow and keeps the rounds coherent. So thanks for uploading! Smiley

The rulebook is also pretty clear on this:

Video of all attempts must be submitted for judging, including possible failed attempts.

That said, we will not publish embarrassing clips (clothes falling off mid squat?) or nasty injuries.

A nice thought. Smiley But it doesn't really help as I will need to remove it anyway since the scripts that extracts the lift data out of the clip names will choke on it. No worries though, that's part of routine meet clean-up, most meets need their share of minor manual intervention here and there.

And thanks for taking part again! Looking forward to seeing the lifts.

Ah...okay.
That does make things clearer.

And sorry about complicating things.  Embarrassed  Grin

Thanks, Kris!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:36 am »

Ginger: nah, it's really the whole meet upload process that is needlessly complicated which means that the procedure must be pretty strict to work. Hope to make things simpler in the future.

Meet update: Four lifters have uploaded now.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 10:21:49 pm »

The meet is now with the judges, the usual progress meter is above the forums.
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 04:20:04 pm »

Wow, fastest judging ever.  Shocked

Thanks judges!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:43:52 pm »

Yeah, that was fast indeed! Thanks guys! I'll be pushing the meet results out tomorrow Friday.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 12:44:40 am »

The meet has been released!

Strong and clean lifting across the board. But Jeff: we've been speculating what the passenger EZ bar is for...? Did you run out of plates? It looks mighty cool, but unfortunately the rules are quite strict on this one ("No padding or device may be attached to the bar in any lift.").

And speaking of rules: very convincing lifting Ryan, but please check the dress code in the rules before the bench meet (T-shirt + shorts, no wraps). You are definitively not the first one to bomb out of their first virtualmeet due to this. Otherwise everything looked just impressive.

Finally, the usual huge thanks to Ben, Marc and Christian for very quick judging. It's always a pleasure to be able to push out a meet early. Smiley
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 12:56:32 am »

The meet has been released!

Strong and clean lifting across the board. But Jeff: we've been speculating what the passenger EZ bar is for...? Did you run out of plates? It looks mighty cool, but unfortunately the rules are quite strict on this one ("No padding or device may be attached to the bar in any lift.").

Yeah, I ran out of plates and had to a little creative.  Looks like I didn't spend enough time reading the rules, I read the equipment specs 1 & 2 and thought I was ok.  On the last attempt I taped a couple dumbells to the bar.

Looks like it's time to convince the wife I need a couple new plates...
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 01:03:34 am »

Looks like it's time to convince the wife I need a couple new plates...

Indeed! But hey, at least you showed that you can lift more than your opener even if it didn't count officially and seeing that improvised lift also made at least me smile. Was that a PR? Not far to the magic 200kg mark now!
Ryan Rigdon
Judge

United States United States Male 308 posts
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 05:14:07 pm »

Can someone tell me what the hell the judges were thinking? All of my lifts were clean and good. I further more CHALLENGE them to tell me why my lifts were marked bad. BELIEVE me i am going to fight this. Hate to use these words but it was bullshit. If this is the way I am going to be treated here then I clean myself from this site. I want a explanation. was it because i wasnt wearing lifting shoes. PLEASE Your allowed to use socks in competition, as long as they are competition approved. But here there is no requirement for this, so I decided to use regular socks in this case.

I will not put up with this type of criticism.
Tomas Jacobsson
Lifter

Sweden Sweden Male 16 posts
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »

Great lift from everybody! It´s never fun to get red lights due to clothes or other equipment. Last year I was disqualified because I used 3cm wooden boards to get the bar up to regular height. I wasn´t very satisfied at the time, but I realized that in a virtual meet it would be quite easy to cheat if you don´t follow the rules exactly by the book. For example, you could easily hide a suit under the trousers, that´s probably why you need to wear shorts. I feel with you Ryan, but I´ll sign up for the  bench so we can have another fight Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Close