User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
DISCUSSION: Weightlifting/Powerlifting, 17-22 August (Gathering meets)
(Read 26319 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:40:14 am »

All discussion and questions on the 17-22 August Weightlifting and Powerlifting meets are warmly welcome here. Smiley

To sign up for either (or both!) meets click here.

If you have a chance, you are also warmly welcome to attend the Gathering at Toffe's Gym in Vaasa, Finland.

Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 06:20:20 pm »

All users NOT lifting at the Gathering should now have received the usual e-mail with the upload details. If not, get in touch. Smiley
Wade Dare
Lifter

United States United States Male 493 posts
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:12:53 am »

All users NOT lifting at the Gathering should now have received the usual e-mail with the upload details. If not, get in touch. Smiley

Boohoo!  i dident get one.

A stitch in time means that someone repaired a hole in the fabric of the universe.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 07:34:55 pm »

It probably got lost in outer bit space. All is lost!

But wait, here is Captain Mighty Squat!! He is telebeaming you the details over PM complimentary of your recent squat progress.
Patrick Furphy
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 3 posts
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 10:15:38 pm »

hi sorry I know its a bit late but is it still possible to enter?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:38:40 pm »

As fate has it, the powerlifting meet just got decimated by three lifters. Christian unfortunately had to cancel his participation in this years Gathering due to illness (a wise move). Måns also reported that he will not be able to make it either. I for my part will not drive back and forth all the way just to lift on my own. After straining a shoulder some three weeks ago, my own meet prep is close to non-existent so I won't be looking for an alternative venue for myself. At Toffe's I would have done it for the kicks, but now it makes more sense to heal up instead.

On the upside, Christian volunteered to judge in the powerlifting meet instead. As I won't be lifting either, I am also ready to step in as the last judge if nobody else volunteers.

Pat: with heads rolling out of these meets left, right and center, I think we could do no better than to welcome you to the meet despite being somewhat late to the party. I'll send you the upload details presently. When did you plan on lifting (workweek/weekend)? Have a great one!!
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:21:20 pm »

Good luck to all the lifters in the meet.
Hopefully if there is another gathering next year, more will  be able to take part.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »

Good luck to all the lifters in the meet.
Hopefully if there is another gathering next year, more will  be able to take part.

I second that, thanks Christian. I'll get thinking about next year around the usual late September-early October, so let's get back to that. Smiley
Warren Djemal
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 88 posts
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:50:08 pm »

hi sorry I know its a bit late but is it still possible to enter?
I'm gona fail you blud!!
Wade Dare
Lifter

United States United States Male 493 posts
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 03:59:34 am »

My files have been uploaded.

A stitch in time means that someone repaired a hole in the fabric of the universe.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:00:24 pm »

Wade: looking great, thanks!

Warren: did you do both meets in one fell swoop? Smiley
Kat Ricker
Lifter

United States United States Female 79 posts
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 03:51:22 pm »

... and then there were none.

I did not compete due to a sprained rotator cuff. I was going to push through it, but in the midnight hour, my practitioner convinced me to lay off so I can heal through this injury.

Wow! Looks like VM could use a thread on recovery  Wink

Keep it fun or you won't keep it
Warren Djemal
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 88 posts
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 07:46:40 pm »

Since we're talking about recovery, here's some of the things I use (not often enough, evidently):

1) Foam rolling
2) Tennis balls in a sock for t-spine mobilisation and soft tissue work around shoulder blades
3) Thera-cane for neck and upper back when watching TV
4) Hard rubber ball for calves, piriformis, meeting point of lat and shoulder and soles of feet
5) Scott Sonnon's Intu-Flow. Free videos on YouTube. After a couple of days of this I really notice the difference in squat depth and shoulder external rotation.
Ginger Zakari
Lifter

United States United States Female 16 posts
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 02:22:23 am »

Wow! Looks like VM could use a thread on recovery  Wink

It seems like recovery is the theme for lots of folks recently.  Sad

I really struggled with the decision of whether or not to do this one. I wanted to but I had strained TFL's to heal. Doing better. Training is almost back to normal.
I wish the best to all and a speedy recovery to everyone who needs it.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 11:13:54 pm »

Meet update: Alberto Caraballo also apparently had to pull out of the meet, so in the end only Wade and Patrick made it all the way in the powerlifting event.

On the weightlifting side of things, with Kat and Warren having to heal up, only Patrick did the meet (yes, Furphy on both counts, the man apparently did the BOTH meets back to back! Hat tip!).

Injuries and timetable pressures really put a dent in what was a decent line-up (as such, the recovery tips are really well timed, must check out Intu-Flow, never heard of that, thanks!).

The silver lining is that Kat and Warren turned the platform into the podium and volunteered to judge (thanks!) the weightlifting meet. As I also dropped out due to the Gathering being canceled, I'm stepping in as the third judge in the powerlifting meet. In sum: missing one judge for the weightlifting meet, but that should not be a problem. Smiley

Since the meets are so small, we're going to be doing the judging back to back instead of setting up parallel judging (which is currently a bit of a hassle to do). The powerlifting meet is now with the judges. When that is done, the weightlifting meet will go to the judges. Results will then be pushed out together.

And that's that for now! Thanks everyone who wanted to take part, tried to take part or were able to take part! We'll be back.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Close