User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Full Meet, 7-9 March 2008
(Read 73726 times)
Matt Reed
Judge

United States United States Male 251 posts
« on: January 22, 2008, 02:59:51 am »

This is the thread to post questions, concerns, or discussion on the Full Meet 7-9 March 2008.  To register please go HERE

Again, this thread is just for discussion/questions, do not register via this thread.  Go to the thread in the link posted above to register.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 03:09:21 am by Abbrevi8tor » Logged
Ben Crutcher
Registered member

United States United States Male 2 posts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:31:14 am »

I'm new to all of this my only question is, is this free to compete. Thanks
Matt Reed
Judge

United States United States Male 251 posts
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:20:14 am »

I'm new to all of this my only question is, is this free to compete. Thanks

Yep, totally free.
Ben Crutcher
Registered member

United States United States Male 2 posts
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:58:22 am »

so if i decide to do this meet all i need to do the day that i do my lifting is video tape according to all of the rules on the rules page then upload it to where ever im supost to upload it
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:58:41 pm »

A big welcome to Virtualmeet.net Ben! I took a look at your profile, strong lifting.

so if i decide to do this meet all i need to do the day that i do my lifting is video tape according to all of the rules on the rules page then upload it to where ever im supost to upload it

Correct. If you sign up for the meet you will receive further instructions on how to upload the video closer to the meet. If you have any more questions, ask ahead. Smiley
Ryan Hunt
Registered member

United States United States Male 1 posts
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 01:57:56 am »

Hello, all.  I recently joined and was looking forward to this meet.  Was being the operative word becasue I shold have looked more closely at the date. The meet is only one week after  I run in my second the Los Angeles Marathon.  My hips and hamstrings will not be recovered in time to put up the weight  I am used to without risk of injury.   I wish you all a PR and will check back to see the results.

Good luck,
Ryan
Alberto Caraballo
Lifter

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Male 25 posts
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:58:26 pm »

I'm going to have to pass on this Virtual Meet, Kris.  I've been so busy training here in South Carolina (usually with an extra 60-70 lbs on my body)to deploy overseas that I haven't even had time or energy to lift.  Doesn't help, either, that the only big gym on this side of the base was being renovated.   I will definitely try for the next one - - - I will be situated and have my laptop and camera by then.

To all the participants, kick ass and have a great time!!!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 06:16:06 pm »

Hey Alberto! Sounds like you've kept yourself busy (and probably getting into pretty good overall shape despite not hitting the gym!). I shall try to do my best to join you for the next one (benching in May?), I was scheduled to lift in this one but the baby, new job and a two-week flu put an end to that... You'll be the first deployed meet participant, will we be seeing the wide-open desert on your meet footage...? Wink
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 09:44:45 pm »

The meet is underway with the first lifters hitting the bar today!!!

Some small last-minute changes to the judge line-up have been made. Since enough judges were available, I decided to pull out to instead focus on the video editing and technicalities of getting the meet results out. This should speed things up considerably.

I will be using this thread to update on the meet process. I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing how the meet went for everyone involved. It's a very special feeling to know that this weekend lifters in several countries will lift for a common purpose.  Cheesy Thanks and good luck!
Helgi Briem
Lifter

Iceland Iceland Male 11 posts
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 03:56:12 pm »

Well, I lifted and think I did OK.  I trained hard all week and didn't rest at all for the meet like I would for a real one so the poundages were a little lower than I'd hoped for.  I was expecially disappointed not to deadlift 220kg which I did easily in practice on Monday.   But such is life.  I failed when trying to video my first DL attempt at 200kg so perhaps I was a little tired for 220. 
Tosha Heitmann
Lifter

United States United States Female 2 posts
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 08:11:07 pm »

I lifted and uploaded. did alright...PR on DL. So that was cool...

Tosha Grin
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:43:52 pm »

Six lifters have now submitted their lifts for a total of 53 clips and 800MB. I have only had a cursory check, but there is some excellent stuff in there! Unfortunately, there's also a few lifts that will be unjudgeable due to bad camera angles (notably cases where key bodyparts of the lifter are not visible). Those of you who are yet to lift and are not sure how to set up the camera, please re-read chapter 2D. And as a gentle reminder, don't forget the newspaper. Smiley

Thanks everyone!
 -Kris, speaking in the voice of meet director
Måns Rinne
Staff  [Moderator, Finnish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 57 posts
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 07:33:18 pm »

I'm more than happy at my performance, as I stated on the Finnish forum already.

I bombed just one lift (the last bench), but I got a PR on deads (170kg / 374lbs), so overall I think I lifted decently considering my 5 week meet prep.

We'll see what the video's gonna look like this time, but I for one am truly looking forward to seeing an excellent video (no pressure, Kris, no pressure) once again!  Grin

Speaking of which, we were talking during the meet (Kris was my camera-man) that each meet that I've attended so far has been filmed at a different gym. The first was at then Metal Gym, now Voimapuoti Gym, the second was at Kris' summer gym in the forest and this one was filmed at Punttis, the literally underground gym I train at these days (in a WWII bombshelter bunker underneath Temple Square Church (aka Rock Church, as it's built entirely of dry-laid stones) in Helsinki.

We also seem to have developed a tradition as far as postmeet food goes. It's been kebab every time, we mused over our kebabs late last night. I for one feel no need to break that one.  Cool

Anything is possible, except maybe skiing through a revolving door.
Chris Cooper
Judge

Canada Canada Male 27 posts
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 08:01:31 pm »

I think that mention of camera angles was right to me.  Despite 30 minutes of fooling around, we just couldn't find an angle that was right for my cage.  I wound up with (I hope) 290lbs bench and 505lbs deadlift, missing my 525 attempt.  I'll do much better next time.  My squats were bombs.
Chris
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 09:39:19 pm »

That's the spirit Chris!

A quick update: 80 video clips from 8 lifters have hit the server. A whopping six lifters appear to have dropped out of the meet. Due to the heavy logistics involved in getting the meet set up and the video prepared, the Stone County Schools Powerlifting Team was granted extended upload time in advance. As soon as those clips are uploaded I will move this meet on to judging. I expect this to take another 24-48 hours. After that, the judges will have one week to finish judging during which time you will be able to follow the now customary counter of their progress.

Stay tuned!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Close