User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Lifting Barefoot
(Read 20732 times)
Jin Lim
Registered member

Malaysia Malaysia Male 3 posts
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:44:57 am »

I'm just wondering, why do you not allow lifting in barefeet, especially with the deadlift?
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:20:34 pm »

Hi Jin,

A warm welcome to Virtualmeet.net! Smiley

Good question. The main reason is that lifting barefoot is not allowed in any federation I know of. I believe that it is a good idea to maintain close compatibility with real-world rules for many reasons. It helps us gain the respect of the community at large if we are known for keeping the rules tight and doing our best to stay away from accepting "gym lifts". It also helps those who aim at real-world competing get a feel for the sport using rules that will mostly apply in real meets as well. Having rules to worry about is a good thing in that respect.

While we take a fairly conservative line in terms of rules and judging (notably IPF depth on the squat), we do allow some modifications to suit the virtual format better and make it easy for folks to participate without owning singlets, competition approved plates etc. But most people have gym shoes. In that respect I think barefoot lifting would be too big a departure from traditional powerlifting rules.
Jin Lim
Registered member

Malaysia Malaysia Male 3 posts
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:01:42 pm »

That's cool. Just means that I need to do some of my pulling with shoes on. Unfortunately I've gotten so used to training barefoot, it'll just take a while getting used to it.

BTW when would be the next deadlift meet?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:19:22 pm »

Roger that.

No date has been set for another deadlift meet yet, but it is soon time to start planning next year's meet timetable. I like to plan the meets one year at a time so that everyone knows what meets are available and can plan their training accordingly. A push-pull meet has been in the queue for some time, so we are most likely going to open the year with that. But other than that, everything is still possible and I would welcome any suggestions for what meets to arrange when. Once I have a meet schedule proposal, I will post it on the forum for feedback like I did last year. If you already have any preference for when you would like to see another deadlift meet, please let me know.  Smiley

You probably saw it already, but the current list of meets can be found here.
Tim McBride
Registered member

United States United States Male 3 posts
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:30:04 pm »

Any advice on where to get a cheap pair of flat shoes? 

I deadlift and squat barefoot, but I'd like to do some meets in 2010. 

I am assuming based on above posts that no exceptions will be made to the "no barefeet" rule.
Wade Dare
Lifter

United States United States Male 493 posts
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:23:41 am »

Any advice on where to get a cheap pair of flat shoes? 

I deadlift and squat barefoot, but I'd like to do some meets in 2010. 

I am assuming based on above posts that no exceptions will be made to the "no barefeet" rule.

Converse Chuck Taylors are good.  "Bruce Lee" slippers are good too if the sole is non-slip.  Vans work though the sole seems too thick to me.  I wear Chucks myself though I'm considering weightlifting shoes with a heel for squats.

A stitch in time means that someone repaired a hole in the fabric of the universe.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 01:56:33 pm »

Hey Tim, happy to hear about your meet plans, always nice to see new faces join in. Lifting barefeet is currently a good way to get your lifts red lighted as the rules are quite closely aligned with what you would see in official meets. So definitively get some shoes. Smiley

Like Wade said, Chucks are good, especially if you tend to squat wide and sit back quite far (as are wrestling shoes, the beauty is that the lower end shoes are more than good enough). Many RAW squatters like some heel though since it eases making depth with a narrower stance (especially as we're talking IPF depth here). Some go with a full weightlifting heel. I currently have a locally produced shoe with a sole half that height. It seems to be a good compromise, especially as I am notorious for turning my squats into good mornings at any possible occasion. Cheesy But it took some getting used to after squatting in wrestling shoes, I guess you'll be facing the same kind of shock if you go from barefeet to a decent heel.

Then again, if you do end up getting weightlifting shoes, then you would probably also like a pair of wrestling shoes, Chucks or slippers for the deadlift to get closer to the iron and your gravity back. Whether to use a heel or not on the squat and bench is subject to personal preferences, but I have yet to hear of anyone swearing by a weightlifting heel on the deadlift (anyone?). That said, you see a lot of folks who still do it since they "only" have one pair of lifting shoes. If I had only one pair, I would probably opt for a flat shoe, but then again, deadlift slippers are pretty cheap.
Tim McBride
Registered member

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 02:58:41 pm »

Converse Chuck Taylors are good.  "Bruce Lee" slippers are good too if the sole is non-slip.  Vans work though the sole seems too thick to me.  I wear Chucks myself though I'm considering weightlifting shoes with a heel for squats.

I kind of figured that would be the advice, but I wanted to check before I spent any money.  I quickly checked into the "Bruce Lee" Slippers, seems like it will be easy to get them real cheap.  Thanks!
Tim McBride
Registered member

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:12 pm »

Many RAW squatters like some heel though since it eases making depth with a narrower stance (especially as we're talking IPF depth here).  I guess you'll be facing the same kind of shock if you go from barefeet to a decent heel.

Huh, I never tried this, ever since I started to take my squatting seriously, I've been doing it barefoot (well, actually with socks on, but that's beside the point), it would be a shock to wear shoes with a elevated heel.  But it may be worth a try if it may ease getting depth. 

I also tend to good morning my heavier weights like you, but I think that happens to many people on heavy attempts.
Trevor Block
Registered member

United States United States Male 9 posts
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:54 pm »

so I'm guessing the rules haven't changed? Socks count as barefoot then? Thanks I look forward to future meets!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 09:31:46 pm »

so I'm guessing the rules haven't changed? Socks count as barefoot then? Thanks I look forward to future meets!

Correct, lifting in socks remains a nasty way to go. But good of you to check! Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close