User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:21:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Kettlebell users?
(Read 11179 times)
Dave Yarnell
Registered member

United States United States Male 7 posts
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:10:42 pm »

I have recently incorporated a Little bit of Kbell stuff into my routine, how about you guys?
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:03:43 pm »

I haven't gotten around to it on a serious level yet, but one of my favorite shoulder exercises is one handed overhead kettlebell presses. It's hard to beat that one with a regular dumbell... I've also done some kettlebell swings now and then and also have a 12 kg/26.5 lbs kettlebell at home that I use for light restorative work.

If you haven't read it, Russian Kettlebell's for Powerlifters by Donnie Thompson is an excellent take on the role of kettlebells in powerlifting.

How have you fitted kettlebells into your routine?
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 01:26:11 pm »

Never done anything with Kettlebells yet.

I need to read the article Kris mentioned.
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 01:37:39 pm »

OK. Read the article. These do sound interesting. Kris, do you know where to get those in Europe at an affordable price? I personally never saw them for sale in Austria.

Are you aware of any info about combining this with a sheiko based routine? This combination might lead to severe overtraining I could imagine. However in a deload week this might just fit in.
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 09:51:39 pm »

Kris, do you know where to get those in Europe at an affordable price?

I was about to suggest Voimaharjoittelu.net here in Finland. They used to ship their stuff within the European Union and are probably the best equipped powerlifting seller in Europe, but now I see that they've changed their name to voimaharjoittelu.fi and dropped their English language version. I can find no information on shipping outside Finland anymore either. They carry extra strong Finnish kettlebells that can also withstand throwing.

In lieu of that, Scott Bird's article Where to Buy Kettlebells suggests London Kettlebells as one source in Europe. I would be quite surprised if you could not find a reseller in Austria though, kettlebells have become so mainstream...

Are you aware of any info about combining this with a sheiko based routine? This combination might lead to severe overtraining I could imagine. However in a deload week this might just fit in.

I guess it boils down to what kind of loading you do with the kettlebells. They can be excellent for anything from light mobility work via coordination drills to full blown strength training a la Mike Mahler. I'm no expert, but like you, I would tend to believe that heavy kettlebell work + Sheiko may be a tad over the top for most lifters.

This probably didn't help much, anyone else have any thoughts? I know some members, such as Mike Amos, are quite heavy on the KBs...
joseph reiter
Judge

United States United States Male 4 posts
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:27:01 pm »

the fire dept brings in a different,"fitness" graduate student annually. most of this years girl's circute type training has kettle bell swings and some sort of alternating press and the like. I have become a fan of the kettlebell excercise's, namely for an accesory work/metabolic conditioning session. It definitly helps to identify a person's weak area's(as if a guy doesnt already know) and help improve on them, and yet are frankly pretty easy to recover from.
thats my 2 cents!
Joe
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close