User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:57:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Question on step ups
(Read 12368 times)
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:43:05 pm »

Maybe somebody can help me with this: I am incorporating now step ups into my program. Today I used a 14" box to step onto. I am not sure if this is optimal though. I felt it could be higher.
Is there a rule of thumb as to how high a box should be for the step up in relation to a lifters height? What are your experience with the step up movement?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:02:55 pm »

Is there a rule of thumb as to how high a box should be for the step up in relation to a lifters height?

I usually look at the angle of the thighs and try to get the box high enough to approximate legal squat depth. Like you, I'm quite a newbie on the movement and some reps tend to look quite ugly as I struggle to keep the balance. The fairly high stack of boxes is probably a contributing factor, getting the box lower would probably help in that regard.

I have a hate-love relationship with the step-up: I hate the low weights I can handle, but love what it ought to do for my weak quads. I've also done my share of lunges, but find the step-up much more controllable. I spent my youth doing martial arts, but you couldn't tell from seeing me do these...  Roll Eyes

Looking forward to seeing more suggestions.
Christian Burger

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:58:43 pm »

Thanks for the tip.

Has anybody got a YouTube video link which could act as an instruction?
Thomas Thekan
Registered member

Canada Canada Male 20 posts
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:39:10 pm »

Measure your inseam. From your crotch to the floor. I found 80% of your inseam length is about the maximum height that can be handled. Anybody that can do between 70-80% of their inseam has a pretty good set of legs.
If you drive with the heel you can really target the hamstrings and glutes.
Don't push off the bottom leg. That's cheating.

TNT
Christian Burger

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 01:44:04 pm »

Thanks.
Alberto Caraballo
Lifter

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Male 25 posts
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 06:49:55 pm »

Read this, then spend some time doing the single leg program:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_o...gies_for_quick_results&cr=

I did the single leg stuff for 16 weeks.  Since I could not do a pistol at the time (now I could do one), I did a lot of reps of just the lowering portion of a pistol to a below parallel step.  After all that, I was able to squat ass to grass for the first time, hold it, then squat it up.  I had more control and pop, too.  I now do assisted pistols for high reps with a green band (5 sets of 10) but will soon switch to doing them with a purple band for lower reps.

Good luck.
Christian Burger

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 10:37:11 am »

Thanks for the tip. Your results are encouraging. I should try to incorporate some of the elements in my next program cycle.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close