User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:00:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Personal PR's
(Read 12211 times)
Jennifer Conlin
Lifter

United States United States Female 9 posts
« on: July 05, 2007, 01:40:30 am »

At Crossfit we have been learning and working on what we call Crossfit total. Deadlift, back Squat, push press.
At crossfit DC this past weekend we did Crossfit total. My Body weight is 136#.
It's the second time I've done back squats. I started at 135 and ended at  195. I think I could have gotten 205 on a second attempt but next time
My push press was sad! I think we jumped the weight to much. I failed at 85# but did 4 or 5  reps of 70# push presses.
In the past  I've gotten 210 on the deadlift....but it was with poor form. This time I nailed it. Solid in my back and had good speed. I've been doing loads of Superman's to increase my lower back strength. Because  I've rounded out in my lower back it has been a focus to get stronger there.. This photo is not pretty but hey...I have time for that when I'm not working out. I believe this is 195#.

* jenPRdl.JPG (27.17 KB, 410x308 - viewed 1325 times.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:53:13 am by conlin19 » Logged
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 09:45:44 pm »

Jen, thanks for sharing the experience! Second time back squatting and 195 lbs/88.5 kg?! Shocked Good going! Sure you are not up for putting those lifts on the thusfar non-existing women's rankings?  Wink

Crossfit is a whole new acquaintance for me. You said the CF total is deadlift, back squat and push press; is that also the order of the events? Hmmm... perhaps, if there is interest and the stars align correctly, Virtualmeet.net might just someday put up a CF total competition as a special event for the fun and variety of it. What kind of depth do you require on the squats?

Also, am highly curious about the Superman's. I briefly searched for them over at crossfit.com, but the shear number of references to the exercise makes it very hard to find an actual description on how it's done. If you have the time, I would love to hear more about it.

Keep up the hard work!
Jennifer Conlin
Lifter

United States United States Female 9 posts
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:41:23 am »

women's rankings huh. Only problem is I don't have video of them.

As for the Superman's see picture. When I started to Dl my biggest weak link was my lower back. So for months now I warm up by doing sets of supermans. It's simple and yet you can really feel it. It has helped me keep that lumbar curve on my pulls.

Crossfit total is a bit more then the lifts I spoke of. I'll attach something for you to read.
I just put up my banner for Virtualmeetup on my blog. www.jensgym.blogspot.com

* superman_2.jpg (31.85 KB, 500x137 - viewed 1295 times.)
Brent Kim
Judge

United States United States Male 13 posts
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 01:25:18 am »

Crossfit is a whole new acquaintance for me. You said the CF total is deadlift, back squat and push press; is that also the order of the events? Hmmm... perhaps, if there is interest and the stars align correctly, Virtualmeet.net might just someday put up a CF total competition as a special event for the fun and variety of it.

that would be freakin sweet for me since i don't bench press anymore!

nice lifting, by the way, jen
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:10:58 am »

women's rankings huh. Only problem is I don't have video of them.

I meant taking your strength to the upcoming meet... Go light on the bench (or close-grip them if your shoulder can handle that), and open the throttle on the squat and deadlift. Wink

As for the Superman's see picture.

Ah, that one! Did a lot of those in my martial arts heyday, just didn't know they were called Superman's. Is that a household name for them in the States known to everyone who ever did them in gym class?

Crossfit total is a bit more then the lifts I spoke of.

Yeah, from the looks of the web site, CF seems to be most anything that will contribute to a freaky level of total fitness... Will be reading the files you emailed me with interest, thanks!

Brent, hope your decision to stop benching is not due to any nagging injury.

BTW, it's really cool to see both of you here! Virtualmeets are definitively open to anyone who likes to max out every now and then whether powerlifter or some other athlete. I guess single-lift and special events will hold special appeal for those, who like both of you, don't actively do the full array of powerlifts. Deadlift only would be right down your streets. Cheesy
Brent Kim
Judge

United States United States Male 13 posts
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 09:27:18 am »

thankfully not due to an injury, i've just dropped benching in favor of more specific overhead work

i'll still gladly do a full meet, and depending on whether or not there will be any local weightlifting meets in the fall, i'll sign up for 7-9 September, but i'd also be game for a single-lift event as well, given a favorable schedule :)
Mieke van der Zwaag
Registered member

Netherlands Netherlands Female 5 posts
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 01:05:01 pm »

Superman's are great!
I've finally tried out my lifts with my trainer(s), and to my surprise I benchpressed 65kgs. Smiley Squat 115 (with a rib injury, which only hurt after I took my belt off. Another reason to love The Belt) and I screwed up my deadlift 140, because 45cm off the floor my body forgot what we were doing. And somehow I put the barbell back. Nevertheless, I was very surprised. Smiley  Smiley

Go ahead boy, pick up that hammer and show me what you can do.
Jesse Woody
Lifter

United States United States Male 4 posts
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 10:03:15 pm »

The Crossfit total is Back Squat, Overhead Press and Deadlift. The push-press and push-jerk are used extensively in the programming, but the competitive nature of the total is supposed to mimic the nature of powerlifting competitions, i.e. slow lifts performed to test grinding, absolute strength, but with a skew towards slightly more-functional movement (which is why the bench press is replaced by the OHP)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close