User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Feb 9-11th, 2007: International Bloggers' Powerlifting Meet
(Read 36185 times)
Gordon Gridley
Registered member

United States United States Male 3 posts
« on: February 09, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »

(MODERATOR'S NOTE: As part of a general reorganization of the boards, this thread was moved from the discontinued After Meet Talk board.)

http://www.gordongridley.us/2007/02/bad-luck.html

Better luck to those of you left.  I'll be there next time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:16:42 pm by kris » Logged

Gords
Theresa

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 09:20:43 pm »

Sorry to hear that  Sad Gords.
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 02:49:34 am »

Quote from: Gords
http://www.gordongridley.us/2007/02/bad-luck.html

I already sent my condolances to Gords via PM, but honestly this is about the worst thing that could happen next to something really serious (like an injury); bombing out is one thing, but not being able to complete the meet due to technical issues... just nothing you could have done about it, and that is not a nice feeling. Gords, after this meet, I'll put up a thread for voting on when the next meet should be and what kind of meet it should be; your time will come!  Grin

As an update: Helgi has completed his meet as have Måns and I. My sore hips hadn't quite healed up and had a bout of back pain which grew decently bad towards the deadlift due to first not sleeping much at all (10 hours spread over three nights I gather) while finishing everything for the meet and then overcompensating by doing 9 hours. Given that my meet prep went down the drain for this one, I will be content if my lifts get passed well enough to grant me a Class IV classification. This is far from certain naturally... I'm actually quite eagerly awaiting the ruling on these and looking forward to learning a bit about possible problems I have in terms of passing my lifts. But what can I say; this was an AWESOME EXPERIENCE! Knowing that our attempts where part of a bigger whole and that I had spent quite some time preparing for this (among which was dropping weight from 104.5 kg/230 lbs to a weigh-in weight of 96.5 kg/213 lbs on the cyclical ketogenic diet) made this much more special than just doing it for our own pleasure. I actually felt a bit nervous about a few of my attempts, so the virtual stare of all of you definitively is doing something right.  Grin Much looking forward to the next meet already!
Theresa

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 12:26:29 am »

Kris,

Have you sent me more clips? Based on your last post it sounds like you had but Huh?

I'm hoping you're catching up on your sleep.
I'll be looking forward to viewing clips tomorrow.

Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 12:39:11 am »

Clips a coming in 15 minutes your way for Måns and I. After the post-meet DVD burning fiasco I mentioned in a PM, I had to wait for Måns to get off work today to get another copy of our lifts. If everything goes according to plan, Alberto's clips should be in sometime tonight and Brent's sometime on Monday the latest. And that's it. The dropout rate for this meet has been quite astounding due to either injuries, a real world meet coming in the way or just failure to sign up after pre-registering (still not sure about two lifters who still have a few hours to sign-up if they want to be in) with the number of lifters down from 11 to 5... provided Alberto and Brent make it. Here's to hoping they do!  Grin

I still feel so sorry for Gords, he didn't deserve his dropout, new camera and all. Life sucks sometimes.  Tongue
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:15:52 am »

Alberto's clips have been passed on for judging, now only Brent left since he is the only lifter yet to lift (11th). The meet sign-up is now also closed for pre-registered lifters, so Jamie, Erick and Chris were a no-shows for this one.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 09:31:49 am by kris » Logged
Måns Rinne
Staff  [Moderator, Finnish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 57 posts
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 11:21:34 am »

Oh man, that has to suck!
Have you figured out what the problem was? Is the camera itself broken (did it destroy the card) or is just the card shot?

Anything is possible, except maybe skiing through a revolving door.
Måns Rinne
Staff  [Moderator, Finnish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 57 posts
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 11:34:26 am »

About my own meet experience; it was actually a whole lot of fun.
There's no way I would do it alone, but like this with Kris and me, it was great.

We had a bit of a scheduling problem though, and had to start warming up to the deadlifts between benching sets. Does anyone else do this? Does it happen in "real"/live meets?

I set my attempts so that if I lifted my second attempts, I'd have class III in the bag. I think I pretty much nailed the squats.
I'm pretty confident about having lifted to Class III, although I'm aware of a few bungled lifts, like a double bounce on the benching.  Cool

All in all, a very positive experience.

Anything is possible, except maybe skiing through a revolving door.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 12:19:07 pm »

although I'm aware of a few bungled lifts, like a double bounce on the benching.  Cool

Actually, I will be very interested in seeing whether the judges will fail that as a double bounce or not. That said, better not give them too many good ideas, hehe. Wink Your lifts were judged yesterday, but I have asked the judges to keep the scoresheet to themselves until the meet is wrapped up.
Brent Kim
Judge

United States United States Male 13 posts
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 04:55:30 am »

am uploading score sheet and vids within the hour... sorry for the delay, some camera trouble
Alberto Caraballo
Lifter

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Male 25 posts
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 06:03:27 am »

This meet was a real eye opener for me.  For one, it showed me just how demanding one of these things are.  I should have worn a sweatshirt to squat in: I haven't held a bar on my bare back in a while and it burned using a tank top.  Benching after squats really is hard, and throw in a pause makes it more so.  Surprisingly, the deads were better than expected probably owed to the fact that I do alot of support work and deadlift twice a week.   Had I trained the bench heavier and with more powerlifting emphasis I might have squeezed out better numbers.  But now I know, for the next meet Wink
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 06:18:15 am »

am uploading score sheet and vids within the hour... sorry for the delay, some camera trouble

Seeing them stream unto the server now, looking good.  Grin
Brent Kim
Judge

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 07:42:06 am »

But now I know, for the next meet Wink

i know how you feel

all clips are uploaded! again apologies for the lateness of the hour, some bad scheduling and planning on my part

so what's the edited meet video going to be like? will there be a soundtrack?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 04:37:18 pm »

Benching after squats really is hard, and throw in a pause makes it more so.

Don't mind the bench, but the deadlift just kills me after the squats. That's probably what I deserve for using pretty much the same stance on both (i.e. squatting wide and pulling sumo). I would love to go back to pulling conventional, which I actually think I'm decently well built for, but alas, the lower back can't take that no more.

Quote from: BrentStaysHungry
all clips are uploaded! again apologies for the lateness of the hour, some bad scheduling and planning on my part

Actually, you were quick since you uploaded them the night after your lifting.

so what's the edited meet video going to be like? will there be a soundtrack?

I want to ask all of you lifters for your thoughts on how video should be handled. The project has grown massively from its conception as an ad-hoc thing for a few bloggers into a framework for regular meets open to a large public. The edited video was originally planned as the only video, but yesterday I came to the conclusion that I would also like to have all lifts up there with links from the meet results. This would serve the purpose of making it easier for lifters to review their own lifts and to introduce needed transparency for judging that allows anyone to review the rulings. Needless to say, it would also be way cool to be able to freely browse around in a meet and watch what causes one's fancy.

In addition to the raw and trimmed footage available for each attempt, the edited meet video would consist of the best bits and pieces of the meet wrapped into an enjoyable package. Unlike the attempt videos, the edited video would give much freedom to the video editor to create something unique as long as it is done in a positive spirit; an edited meet video is not just some selected clips run together, but something a bit more. The clips selected should run the gamut of the meet by focusing on effort (both successful and failed) rather than weight on the bar with the purpose of showing that these meets are for everyone with a desire to improve. Someone benching 80 kg with a PR of 75 kg is my definition of hardcore lifting. So the edited meet video will not just be about the biggest lifts but aims at presenting the meet in a condensed format with its ups and downs.

The idea is thus to have two kinds of video: each attempt on its own and a meet video. The attempt footage could be downsized and compressed a bit more, while the meet video would be reasonably high-quality. This would also prevent the situation where the results are delayed due to the edited video not yet being done. Results would be punched out together with the attempt video ASAP, and the edited video could come a week or two later (depending on the number of lifters). How does this sound? Any other ideas, any objections, any...?

As far as soundtrack is concerned: yes, most definitively. The only crux is that I believe I will not be able to use commerical music and am thus relegated to things I can get permission to use. I know people abuse music and copyright in general these days, but regardless of my own view of how benign it would be for something like this, I rather not have the videos in violation of much anything on principle. This might be enthusiastically skipping a few pages, but these videos could turn into good places for garage bands to get their music out (to an admittedly niche audience, but nevertheless). I know of a few metal bands that have released copyright-free/open source music, but if anyone is associated with a band or would like to pull a few riffs for these videos, let me know.

The judging is now almost complete and I shall begin compiling the meet results later tonight. I will keep you posted.  Cheesy
Brent Kim
Judge

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 07:32:10 pm »

The idea is thus to have two kinds of video: each attempt on its own and a meet video. The attempt footage could be downsized and compressed a bit more, while the meet video would be reasonably high-quality. This would also prevent the situation where the results are delayed due to the edited video not yet being done. Results would be punched out together with the attempt video ASAP, and the edited video could come a week or two later (depending on the number of lifters). How does this sound? Any other ideas, any objections, any...?

i have no objections, sounds very cool
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Close