User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Meet schedule proposal for 2008
(Read 15214 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: September 30, 2007, 12:26:36 pm »

With three meets during our first year, Virtualmeet.net has now matured enough to kick into higher gear. This is a proposal for meets to be held in 2008 and constitutes what I think is a minimum level of service (three full meets and two bench meets a year) with one little extra (a deadlift only meet). Hopefully, a positive side-effect of more meets is also better judge availability as most lifters will probably not be doing all meets, thus creating more opportunities to sign up as a judge for those who feel ready for it.

This proposal should be taken as a starting point for further discussion. If you are considering competing in 2008, please post any suggestions you may have below. Based on received feedback, the meet schedule will be finalized on November 1st, 2007.

2008 VIRTUALMEET.NET MEET SCHEDULE PROPOSAL

Powerlifting, March 7-9th

Bench Press and Military Bench Press, May 16-18th

Powerlifting, July 25-27th

Deadlift, September 5-7th

Weightlifting, October 3-5th

Bench Press and Military Bench Press, November 7-9th

Powerlifting, December 5-7th

[ EDIT: Added a weightlifting meet. ]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:52:19 pm by kris » Logged
Matt Reed
Judge

United States United States Male 251 posts
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:29:48 am »

I'm not very good at suggesting things, but wouldn't it be better to have a push/pull meet instead of a push/push meet?

So instead of having Bench Press/Military Bench Press having a Bench Press/Deadlift or Military Bench Press/Deadlift meet.

I could be way off though as the Military Bench Press should be much less than the Bench Press and should be doable in the same meet I suppose.

Oh well, just throwing out ideas.  The dates and all look really good.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:49:55 am »

I'm not very good at suggesting things, but wouldn't it be better to have a push/pull meet instead of a push/push meet?

I see your point, I should have made this clearer. Those are not push-push meets but two separate meets held on the same weekend. Besides providing a choice, this has the hidden agenda of trying to ensure judge availability; presumably, most would do either meet leaving those capable of it free to judge in the other. At this stage, what will make or break this project is judge availability; we are now ramping up the number of meets drastically, and I want to play it safe until we are clear off the ground. But I also quite like the idea of a weekend bench fest.

This may of course have the impact of lessening participation in the Military Bench Press, especially for those outside Northern Europe who are not familiar with Military Bench meets (will be posting more background info on this, but here is a first quick look), but on the other hand this is a harsh way of testing interest. Of course, there is no point in maintaining meets for a lift nobody is really interested in; consider 2008 a test run.

I did not want to risk putting in more meets than we can sustain in 2008, hence the lack of a push-pull this year. If many of you want a push-pull in 2008, I'll definitively find a way to put one in though; otherwise a push-pull will happen in early 2009. Again, all suggestions are warmly welcome!
Matt Reed
Judge

United States United States Male 251 posts
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:45:44 pm »

Ok, I see now.  Thanks for clearing that up.  I actually like the idea of having the Military Bench Press meet.  It makes things a little more interesting than just a regular flat bench and who can arch the highest.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 03:48:09 pm »

I actually like the idea of having the Military Bench Press meet.  It makes things a little more interesting than just a regular flat bench and who can arch the highest.

Yes, plus I'm willing to bet that a little dedicated Military Bench work is awesome for improving starting strength in the RAW bench.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:18:34 pm »

Based on received feedback, the meet schedule will be finalized on November 1st, 2007.

The meet schedule has now been finalized with the addition of our first weightlifting meet. For more information, please read this announcement.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close