User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:28:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
REGISTER: Military Bench, 29 Nov - 4 Dec 2011
(Read 24026 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: November 27, 2011, 11:33:23 pm »

This thread is to sign-up for the 29 Nov - 4 Dec 2011 Military bench press meet (max rep) only. Questions and comments concerning this meet should be posted in the discussion thread.

Registration details

Registration is open until Sunday 4 December at noon lifter's local time (the last meet day). While it is possible to register very late, lifters are encouraged to register as early as convenient in order to get the video upload details well before the meet ends.

To register for the meet, just post a short reply to this message. This implies that you:
  • HAVE READ AND ACCEPTED THE RULES (the LATEST version of the rules!)
  • AFFIRM YOUR DRUG-FREE STATUS (again, see the rules)
  • REALLY AIM AT DOING THE MEET, not just thinking about it. Of course, injuries and life can happen, so you are naturally free to cancel your entry if needed.

** Lift on any of these days: Tuesday 29th, Wednesday 30th, Thursday 1st, Friday 2nd, Saturday 3th, Sunday 4th.

Those who wish to judge should also sign-up in this thread.

To make sure that you don't forget anything essential, we highly recommend using the checklist as a supplement to the rules.

Wishing all lifters a strong meet!
Juha Koivisto
Lifter

Finland Finland Male 14 posts
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:12:56 pm »

I have read the and accept the rules, I am drug free (2 times WADA tested 2011), I will do the meet on Thursday the 1st.

BR Juha "penkkikone" (Bench Machine)
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:11:11 am »

I want to do the meet on Friday. I am drug free and have read and accepted the rules.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 08:17:37 pm »

This meet is still missing judges. Any takers? I'll take one seat.
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »

I'll fill a seat
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:34:29 pm »

Thanks Jeff! Still missing one volunteer. Smiley

I will push this out for you Jeff within the next couple of days so we can at least get to 66% done.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:30 pm »

The meet is with the judges, just did my part. One judging seat is still welcomingly empty (nudge wink wink)... Smiley
James Chochlinski
Judge

United States United States Male 15 posts
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 03:25:17 pm »

I'd volunteer to judge, but no experience with it. 

Can one gain the needed knowledge on the net?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:36:26 pm »

James, I would be honored to offer you what I hope will be the last opportunity to experience judging using the current judging interface. If you know what to look for in a powerlifting bench press, you should not have any problems judging the military bench event. The main difference is that the feet must be held in the air during the lift. You also have the opportunity to replay each attempt for as many times as you want before you cast your vote.

Take a peek at the rules here and then let me know if you'd like to give it a shot.
James Chochlinski
Judge

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »

Looked at the rules and I'd like to give it a try.  I may not get through them until this weekend.

Thanks!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:35:40 pm »

This meet is already severely late so the weekend is more than fine. I will e-mail you the access details and further instructions. Thanks a lot in advance!
James Chochlinski
Judge

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 02:36:22 am »

Found this video on YouTube and wondered if I could get your comments.

Judging the Bench Press (IPF)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ZlAIy3Rdw&feature=fvsr

Virtualmeet rules say bar must touch above upper abs (doesn't mention sternum) so it sounds like the rule is not as strict as this IPF video?  The picture in the video that is labeled Below Sternum Not Legal doesn't look all that low to me, would it be legal by Virtualmeet rules?

Some of the pictures labeled as not legal due to buttocks also seem really close.  Probably won't be an issue since this meet is military.  Would they also be illegal by Virtualmeet rules?

With military, feet need to be in the air above the bench the whole time? (also not allowed to place feet on the bench, right)?

Last difference I noticed (doesn't apply in this meet) is that IPF requires feet flat on the floor.  Virtualmeet allows either flat or on balls of feet, as long as they don't move much or switch from one position to the other.  Is that right?

Thanks!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:08:36 pm »

All very correct observations James. The first version of the Virtualmeet rules were drawn up before the IPF banned heels up benching and took a stricter stance on the arch and buttocks placement. But even then our rules allowed a few things the IPF did not, for example touching the bar lower and using a reverse grip. The goal behind the Virtualmeet rules has always been to be strict regarding execution (squat depth, proper pauses on the bench press and so on) but to allow those lifting techniques which are commonly legal in the major federations in order to provide an avenue where lifters will feel welcome regardless of background.

For example, I don't see us following the feet flat rule change because that would force many coming from non-IPF backgrounds to change their benching style in our meets. As anyone who ever switched between these two styles knows, it takes quite a lot of time and practice to get back up to previous weights with the new style. Extreme arching has so far very rarely been seen in our meets. Personally, I do feel that extremely limited motion bench presses which amount to little more than partials go against the spirit of competition and in that respect I for one would be more than happy to discuss whether we would want to cap the most extreme forms without going as far as banning heels up benching.

As a side-note, the virtual format also necessitates more lenient lifting equipment rules. For example to allow one to compete in most any garage gym we obviously cannot require competition line bars or plates nor should we outlaw the use of safety measures which makes lifting alone safer (the IPF has been moving in this direction of late too by mandating the use of safety stands in all bench press events). Nor does everyone have a singlet hanging around. Here our rules are lenient regarding what you lift with but strict about what you lift in (belt only, no wraps).

In the end, juggling between providing a warm home for lifters from all walks of life while still keeping the line tight enough to provide credible meets on the Internet is not always easy and there is no set of rules which would please everyone. I will continue to make adjustments when it is clear that they are largely wanted, but I think that in general the current approach has worked quite well.

Found this video on YouTube and wondered if I could get your comments.

Judging the Bench Press (IPF)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ZlAIy3Rdw&feature=fvsr

Seems like this video was made based on the official IPF example document posted ahead of the rule change: www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/Examples_to_the_new_Bench_Press_rules.pdf

Virtualmeet rules say bar must touch above upper abs (doesn't mention sternum) so it sounds like the rule is not as strict as this IPF video?  The picture in the video that is labeled Below Sternum Not Legal doesn't look all that low to me, would it be legal by Virtualmeet rules?

Definitively legal here. It is still above the upper abs.

Some of the pictures labeled as not legal due to buttocks also seem really close.

The male lifters' positioning would all be ok both here and, I believe, under the older IPF rules. But the female lifter is already in a gray area. Personally I think her buttocks are not fully in touch with the bench and I would flag her down for that reason.

With military, feet need to be in the air above the bench the whole time? (also not allowed to place feet on the bench, right)?

Correct. The feet may be on the bench during the setup and unracking of the bar, but once the bar starts to descend towards the chest they must be up as specified in the rules:

The feet must be elevated higher than the bench surface at
all times during the lift, i.e. feet are held in the air. The feet and legs may move
during the course of the lift as long as the action is not deemed to aid the
execution of the lift and the feet are kept above the bench surface.

Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time to ask these questions. Smiley In terms of the military bench meet judging, it is also never wrong to take a peek at previous meets, for example this and this. For the full list of held meets, please see the meet index. If you have any more questions or any suggestion, don't hesitate to bring them forward. Smiley

If anyone is interested in a deeper comparison, here is the link to the official IPF rules: http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/50.html
James Chochlinski
Judge

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 04:19:27 am »

Thanks for the useful info!  Looking forward to judging on the weekend.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »

Thanks a million James for pushing this meet into harbor! Tomorrow will be a busy day, but I should be able to push the results out late Wednesday GMT time.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Close