User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 08:31:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
REGISTER: Weightlifting, 7-12 June 2011
(Read 25224 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: June 05, 2011, 05:47:14 pm »

This thread is to sign-up for the 7-12 June 2011 Weightlifting meet only. Questions and comments concerning this meet should be posted in the discussion thread.

Registration details

Registration is open until Sunday 12 June at noon lifter's local time (the last meet day). While it is possible to register very late, lifters are encouraged to register as early as convenient in order to get the video upload details well before the meet ends.

To register for the meet, just post a short reply to this message. This implies that you:
  • HAVE READ AND ACCEPTED THE RULES (the LATEST version of the rules!)
  • AFFIRM YOUR DRUG-FREE STATUS (again, see the rules)
  • REALLY AIM AT DOING THE MEET, not just thinking about it. Of course, injuries and life can happen, so you are naturally free to cancel your entry if needed.

** Lift on any of these days: Tuesday 7th, Wednesday 8th, Thursday 9th, Friday 10th, Saturday 11th, Sunday 12th.

Those who wish to judge should also sign-up in this thread.

To make sure that you don't forget anything essential, we highly recommend using the checklist as a supplement to the rules.

Wishing all lifters a strong meet!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:50:35 pm by kris » Logged
Warren Djemal
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 88 posts
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:32:52 pm »

Oh boy. Here we go!

I read the rules, I affirm my drug free status (no promises I'll be drink-free though), I'm wearing a bright red singlet that's too tight for me, and I'm going to try really hard not to get sick or injured again. I mean it.
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:09:13 pm »

I read the rules, I affirm my drug free status, I'll be wearing a bright red singlet that's about right for me and I'm going to try really hard to lift outside if the weather permits.  I mean it.
Jamie Jamieson
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 8 posts
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »

I read the rules ( really this time), I am drug free, I'll be wearing a  singlet this time.  I will be lifting at out new gym ( www.crossfittwenty.com ).  I will try and get a few others to register as well.
Jamie Jamieson
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 8 posts
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:22:12 pm »

I created a facebook event page and invited 30 of my weightlifting friends. 

When is the last day to sign up?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124919004256354
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 11:42:59 pm »

Whoa Jamie, now that's what I call taking action. Smiley

Under the newish meet sign-up procedure, sign-up is open all the way until noon your local time on the last day of the meet (Sunday 12th).
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:19 pm »

Ok, Kat graciously volunteered to judge (thanks!). Two more judges needed, any takers? Will start mailing around tomorrow again...
Marc Aube
Staff  [French Translator]

Canada Canada Male 27 posts
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 01:33:14 am »

Still looking for judges ?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:38:13 am »

Marc, indeed we are. I take it this means I can send you the judging details? Smiley

We possibly have the last judging slot filled too, though I haven't heard anything definitive back on that one yet.
Marc Aube
Staff  [French Translator]

Canada Canada Male 27 posts
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:56:28 pm »

Yup! Sign me as a judge.
Warren Djemal
Lifter

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 09:21:18 pm »

How long til meet release Kris?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:41:13 pm »

Well, we need one more judge to get this moving. This meet is also blocking the powerlifting meet as the current judging interface does not permit having multiple meets in judging at the same time.

Frankly, I have not been going around to a lot of doorsteps this time around as I am always banging on the same doors asking for the same old weightlifting judging favor (I did send out e-mails to two judge candidates though but no replies). We owe big thanks to Marc and Kat for pro-actively volunteering to judge, but I think we still have a bit of a collective challenge in how to solve the lack of fresh blood in weightlifting judging (and lifting for that matter). So, if anyone knows someone who might be persuaded to give judging a go (virtualmeet member or not), please let me know.

Thanks Warren for the push, let's see if it helps get things moving a bit again. Smiley
Warren Djemal
Lifter

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 08:55:49 am »

You could try Patrick - Virtualmeet username "ilift"?
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 02:42:15 pm »

I think I've found someone - Andrew Stewart said he would do it, he should be dropping by.
Warren Djemal
Lifter

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »

A couple of thoughts on the challenges that might affect turnout:

1) Weightlifting is a small niche.
2) Access to suitable equipment for willing participants.
3) Conflict with real meets.
4) Not enough public awareness of VM.
5) Lack of access to video equipment.
6) No weight categories in VM might put off beginners?
7) Not many people currently = not cool = no domino effect

There aren't many factors we can control, but there are plenty of lifters out there (see youtube). I think awareness is the one we can. Might want to get in touch with a couple of WL coaches and see if they'd be willing to participate.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Close