User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:40:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
DISCUSSION: Military Bench, 19-21 March 2010
(Read 27185 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:24:01 pm »

All discussion and questions on the 19-21 March 2010 Military Bench meet are welcome here.

Click here to sign up for the fun!
Tomas Jacobsson
Lifter

Sweden Sweden Male 16 posts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:08:38 pm »

Kristoffer, you write in the invitation mail: "Note that this is currently the ONLY max rep Military Bench meet of the year."

I suppose you mean "One rep max" as opposed to "max number of reps" on a certain weight. Just wanna be sure, since I´m new here.
Duncan Henry
Lifter

United States United States Male 7 posts
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:54:42 pm »

Judging by last year's military bench meet, I'm pretty sure it's just 1-rep max.  I had to watch the videos because I didn't know what a military bench is.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:55:13 pm »

Hi guys, sorry for the slow reply. I totally missed the notification e-mail on any changes to this thread. Sad

You're correct, that sentence was indeed totally mixed up. This is a one-rep max meet. The rep max meet will be held on 17-19 September. Tomas, tack så mycket for bringing this up! I had not noticed the mistake and this is sure to be helpful for anyone else wondering about this.

Have a great meet both of you! Smiley
Tomas Jacobsson
Lifter

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:14:28 pm »

Kristoffer, another question which I did not find mentioned in the rules.

Can I have my feet on the floor while I take the bar off the rack and bring it into the start position and lift them just before I start lowering the bar, or do I need to have them up from the moment I grab the bar?
Duncan Henry
Lifter

United States United States Male 7 posts
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 09:58:11 pm »

Sorry Tomas, I didn't even know about the max reps meet, only the 1-rep max event.  I should've kept my mouth shut.

Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:17:14 pm »

Can I have my feet on the floor while I take the bar off the rack and bring it into the start position and lift them just before I start lowering the bar, or do I need to have them up from the moment I grab the bar?

Good question. I just re-read the rules and indeed, you're right. This is not mentioned in the rules at all, but definitively should be.

The answer is yes though. You need to have the feet in place when the bar starts to descend for your attempt, but until then you are free to keep the feet on the floor, i.e. when unracking and getting the bar positioned above you. Good of you to check and thanks for pointing out the lack of clarity on this in the rules. Another todo note for the upcoming rule update. Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 10:41:44 pm »

All lifters should now have received an e-mail with instructions on how to upload the video etc. If you haven't and it's not in your spam folder, please let me know.

The judges will receive their instructions as soon as the meet is ready for judging.

Have a great meet everyone!
Tomas Jacobsson
Lifter

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:47:33 pm »

Well, it´s done and uploaded. This was not my day today , but I got the opener and I hope to finally get some white lights. Good luck to all of you!
Juha Koivisto
Lifter

Finland Finland Male 14 posts
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 10:19:59 pm »

Hello! I managed yesterday to load all clips to the server with the help and patience of Kris! What an interesting way to take part to a competition in the "comfort" of your own gym. Wish good luck everyone with their lifts! Juha
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 08:33:20 pm »

Ok folks, the last upload just made it to the server. I will now start to push the meet to the judges. I'll update once there. Since nobody has signed up for the outstanding judge slot I will man it. Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 09:38:09 pm »

All right! The meet is now with the judges. As usual, they can take up to one week to finish their judging if needed. You can follow the progress in real time in the box above this forum.

Please excuse me, I will now go and enjoy judging it. Smiley
Juha Koivisto
Lifter

Finland Finland Male 14 posts
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:45:14 pm »

Being a first timer in Virtualmeet competition I anxiously wait for the results of referees for The Military Bench Press meet. Without the "Start", "Press" and "Rack" commands given in a "conventional" competition it is always hard for the lifter do decide whether the "marks" are sufficient. Holding the weights against yours chest in bench press the time seems to run very slowly.
Måns Rinne
Staff  [Moderator, Finnish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 57 posts
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:51:49 am »

Hello all!

To the best of my knowledge, the military bench press is a Finnish invention and so it is no surprise that most of the world has no idea what that is.

Second, as a tip for training for any bench press:
me and Kris had this really anal way of training for the pause for the first Virtualmeet:
Lower the weight onto the chest, have your training partner count "one! two!" out loud, then lift. Yes, it seems like an eternity, but then come meet time, you only have to go "one!" at bottom to push it, and the bar has most definitely stood still for long enough for any judge (even someone as strict as me) to appreciate.  Roll Eyes

Anything is possible, except maybe skiing through a revolving door.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 08:19:01 am »

The meet has been judged. I will release it sometime before midnight GMT tonight. Thanks to Marc and Måns (and myself  Grin) for the prompt judging. Always a pleasure to be able to release early, thanks!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Close