User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:29:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
DISCUSSION: Powerlifting, 13-15 March, 2009
(Read 40085 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:30:11 pm »

Everything and anything concerning the 13-15 March 2009 Powerlifting meet is welcome here.

To sign up for the meet, see the registration thread.
heath reynolds
Registered member

United States United States Male 3 posts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:36:24 am »

Hello I am new to this sight.  It looks like very motovational and a smart idea.   I am doing deadlifts only to stay in shape.  My question is and can I compete in the powerlifting meets doing only deadlifts or do I have to wait untill you have deadlift meets only.   thanks
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:10:31 am »

Hi Heath,

Warmly welcome to the site! Smiley

My question is and can I compete in the powerlifting meets doing only deadlifts or do I have to wait untill you have deadlift meets only.

That's a very good question!

In a regular powerlifting meet, you need to get a score for each of the lifts in order to have any lift accepted. You are also not allowed to continue to the next lift if you miss or skip all attempts on the previous lift. Sometimes a lifter will come into a meet focusing on only one lift due to injury or for the purpose of saving energy towards setting a PR or breaking a record. In these cases, the lifter would pass one light attempt on the other lifts to make the result for the main lift valid.

Our rules are a bit different in that we will accept individual lifts even if the lifter did not get a score on all lifts. This means that you can still get a deadlift count as a personal meet record despite bombing out on both the squat and the bench press. Obviously, because our meets are judged after the fact, lifters cannot know whether they got a score for a lift until after the meet. The lack of direct judge feedback also makes it easier to bomb out due to a trivial reason like a bad camera angle or forgetting to remove a sweater on one attempt. Accepting good lifts as PRs or ranking entries is one way of allowing users to walk away with something to show even if they would bomb out due to a trivial mistake.

But this policy was never designed to allow lifters to turn a powerlifting meet into a push-pull, a bench press only meet or a deadlift only affair. In my view, a powerlifting meet is still a powerlifting meet and lifters are expected to show up for all lifts. I therefore suggest adding a clause to the rules that require lifters to at least make bona fide attempts, i.e. take a serious shot at each lift, in order to be accepted into a meet. This would put our meets more in line with real meets, while still retaining a bit more flexibility to make up for the above mentioned challenges associated with the virtual meet format.

To sum up, you would not be allowed to skip the squat and the bench but you could consider going light on them in order to put all the ammo on the deadlift. There's also a deadlift only meet on May 15-17th as you've probably noticed.

As usual, all feedback and suggestions are welcome, but at the moment this solution makes the most sense to me.
heath reynolds
Registered member

United States United States Male 3 posts
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:58:19 am »

Thanks for explaining the rules for powerlifting meets Iidn't realize that you had to make a try at all lifts to complete the meet.   I saw the deadlift  meets for 2009 and there only one meet.   So to keep my motovation up on training I am going use your idea about doing light benches and light squats.   I am going to compeet in my first powerlifting meet 3/15/09!  Thanks for your help.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:22:49 pm »

A bit less than three hours left to sign-up for the meet. Looks like it's going to be a strong one with many lifters.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:58:49 pm »

The meet sign-up deadline has now passed. The final line-up will be posted tomorrow.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 07:07:55 pm »

All lifters lifting in this meet should now have received their info e-mail with upload details etc. If you haven't, please e-mail kristoffer@virtualmeet.net.

Good luck everyone! Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:15:51 pm »

The second judge slot has now been filled thanks to Ben Crispin who was kind enough to volunteer. If anyone is interested in filling the last slot, let me know please.

Thanks Ben! Smiley
Ramon Gysin
Lifter

Switzerland Switzerland Male 14 posts
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:15:05 pm »

Are you still looking for someone judging the meet?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 03:59:07 pm »

It's meet weekend again! Good luck everyone lifting today!

Are you still looking for someone judging the meet?

Yes, the third slot is still open. However, there's the usual fallback (me) so it is not a problem if nobody volunteers. If you have anyone in mind, please have them contact me. Unfortunately you can't judge a meet you're lifting in.
Ramon Gysin
Lifter

Switzerland Switzerland Male 14 posts
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 11:17:13 pm »

Oh, sure, i forgot that one!  Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »

Hey, no problem. I appreciate the thought and will be most happy to have you as a judge in any future meets. Smiley

As these meets grow, we will at some point need to have more than one judging team as to not overload the judges. At that stage, it may be possible to both lift and judge in the same meet since different judge teams will be judging different groups of lifters. We'll see when that time comes.

The first lifters are uploaded now.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 07:45:12 pm »

12 uploaded lifters now... tomorrow is another intense meet day.
Brian Long
Lifter

United States United States Male 16 posts
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 11:57:41 pm »

Just finished the upload of my videos for the meet. All in all not a bad meet I did set a 20lb. PR on the deadlift. My legs didn't seem as though they had any power in them today when doing the squats. Maybe due to the fact I took my son fishing at 6 a.m. and standing in the boat for three hours really zapped my legs and back not a smart move.
Plus I am feeling overtrained because this meet was so close to one I did in February here locally. Time to scale back a bit in training for a few weeks and then begin preparing for a meet locally on June 20th.
Hope to be back for another Virtualmeet soon although I am sorry to say my days lifting raw could be numbered as I have been struggling for months with hip pain and a single ply suit really seems to help. But I really do enjoy the Virtualmeets and will try to stick it out.
Hope everyone else had a good meet and best of luck.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 11:17:27 pm »

Thanks for the update Brian.

I found that trying to hit IPF depth with a wide stance produced some major hip pain in the long run which was alleviated by loose single-ply briefs. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I also believe that IPF lifters at large lift with a narrower stance than those in federations where parallel depth is enough. I don't know about your situation, but you seem to be going quite wide and narrowing the stance in a bit may help. In my case, I had to ease up on the squatting for a while to get the hip back in shape.

And yeah, standing in a boat for a while is probably quite the workout for your stabilizators... but I bet your son loved it. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Close