User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:13:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
DISCUSSION: Powerlifting, 5-7 December 2008
(Read 62976 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: October 29, 2008, 09:27:50 pm »

All discussion related to the Powerlifting meet on December 5-7th, 2008 is welcome here. Sign up for the meet here.
Thomas Thekan
Registered member

Canada Canada Male 20 posts
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:53:51 pm »

If we have a group of 6 people doing the Dec. 5-7 PL meet. Should we run it like a meet (with increasing weight)or would it be better to video each person's lifts and then do the next person?

TNT
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:01:42 pm »

Should we run it like a meet (with increasing weight)or would it be better to video each person's lifts and then do the next person?

Good question. You could do it either way, but personally I would run it like a meet. From a time perspective, you would either need a lot of time or have all the lifters hurry through their nine attempts were you to do it one lifter at a time. The maximum duration of a three-lift meet is 2.5 hours which should allow 6 lifters to comfortably go through the meet. The time is individual, i.e. it starts on the first attempt on the squat, so the meet could in fact be close to three hours from the time the first lifter starts to the time the last lifter finishes if needed.

I would also think that running it as a meet would rev-up the intensity and atmosphere as everyone is in it together, but at the end of the day your lifters may of course find the lifter by lifter option more compelling.

Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »

Starting to look good already... good to see Anthony back in one piece. And thanks Matt for offering to judge, much appreciated. Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:15:05 pm »

Fourteen lifters have signed up so far. 25 hours left to sign up if anyone else is still thinking about it.

Looks like this meet is going to rock. Smiley

Lifters: I will send out further information at the end of this week with all the details you need.
Thomas Thekan
Registered member

Canada Canada Male 20 posts
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:26:07 pm »

I'll bet Canada wins the team title.

TNT
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:09:56 am »

The meet registration deadline has now passed and we are two weeks out from the meet. And there's many reasons to be really excited about this one.

On top of my list is the strong showing of women thanks to the UOIT Varsity Rowing Team and Anna Cappelli out of Catalyst Gym. We've had a total of 6 women compete in our last ten meets; now we have 6 women in ONE meet. Now that's something.

Secondly, you lifters represent a happy mix of people with different approaches to the sport. Some of you lift weights to support other sports, some of you are all-eaters (crossfit) who do this and so much more and some of you are dedicated powerlifters. In this meet, we will be seeing lifters both doing this for the fun of it and lifters who really mean business in shattering previous PRs with some impressive weight on the bar. That's the way it should be and it makes me honored to see that you all feel equally welcome here.  Smiley

Thirdly, the Bulgarians have entered as a force to be reckoned with in these meets and are paving the way for a stronger presence of Europeans. We've had lifters from 10 countries in our meets before, but the trend has still been dominantly North American. My dream is that we will see people from the whole world rub shoulders in these meets and seeing you guys here makes me happy. Smiley

Also, this meet continues to show the growing interest for teams to sign-up. Next year we will start arranging team competitions too. This will add an exciting new dimension to the meets and will hopefully give real-world teams one more reason to shift into higher gear.

So thanks everyone!

I'll bet Canada wins the team title.

Grin 10 Canadians, 5 Bulgarians and 4 Americans. Were we to have team titles the statistics would indeed favor the Canadians, but never say never...
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:24:59 pm »

The judge line-up is now complete with Ryan Rigdon stepping in as the final judge. He brings plenty of judging experience with him, so you are all in good hands.

Thanks Ryan. Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 02:52:04 am »

Update: lifters will receive the meet information tomorrow. Apologizes for the delay, I got stuck trying to finish the new t-shirt so that they would be available in time for this meet.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 04:31:08 am »

All lifters should now have received information on how to submit their clips etc. via e-mail. This is the first time I've done this as an automated process, so lifters should take extra care to verify that the upload account is actually working well before the meet. I tested a few and everything does seem to be in order. The automation also solves the problem with these mails landing in the spam box on Gmail accounts.

One week to go... hopefully everyone's meet prep has been going well. Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 02:55:12 pm »

MEET WEEKEND! The Bulgarians kick it off today, go for it guys! Smiley
Chris Cooper
Judge

Canada Canada Male 27 posts
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 04:55:12 pm »

We're jacked to be part of it tomorrow!  We've been warned that there may be a bunch of spectators, so I'll try to include them in some camera shots.  I'm especially happy for Anna and her husband, Ed; watch out for her crazy DL!
Tsvetan Vasilev
Lifter

Bulgaria Bulgaria Male 21 posts
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 02:01:01 am »

The meet went pretty well. Except for the newspaper that we forgot. And one of the guys getting injured and skipping the meet. And two of the guys not registering for it.

Best of luck to everybody that is yet to lift.

And remember: if your knees ain't bending, then you're just pretending.

PS http://www.facebook.com/album....?aid=2004458&id=1593126869
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:48:32 am by tsvassilev » Logged

Tsvetan Vasilev, FMS
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 09:18:05 am »

The meet went pretty well. Except for the newspaper that we forgot. And one of the guys getting injured and skipping the meet. And two of the guys not registering for it.

To expand on Tsvetan's post a bit, the guys forgot the newspaper but had one of the lifters deliver it in the middle of the first squat round. The newspaper was subsequently shown after one lift for each lifter. A mistake was done in this regard for Alexander Tomov, but because all clothing, lifting conditions and everything elses matches the other clips I will accept his lifts. Also, the clips for the lifters who did not register were not submitted so no problem there either.

Sorry to hear that Nikolay injured himself before the meet. Hopefully it wasn't serious.

So: four lifters have submitted their lifts so far.

Best of luck to everybody that is yet to lift.

Indeed! Just remember the newspaper folks, please. The rules are pretty clear on the consequences of forgetting that (disqualification). Can't recommend using the meet checklist enough, follow that and you should be golden.

Two more meet days ahead! I'll keep you updated here as usual on how things are progressing. Smiley
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 06:57:34 pm »

Plenty of uploading going on at the moment, only a few lifters now who have yet to upload. Can't wait to dig into the judging. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Close