User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Scary night tonight
(Read 9396 times)
Layne Norton
Registered member

United States United States Male 6 posts
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:39:27 am »

Had a really scary night tonight guys.

Tonight was Max Effort bench day and I was doing reverse band presses.  I worked up to 445 X 3, 495 X 3, 535 X 1 with the heavy bands.  Then I decided to go for 545.  I got myself way too amped for the set, and as I lowered it to my chest, instead of focussing on proper form and hitting my lower chest/upper abs and pressing straight up I let it hit mid chest and instead of dumping it tried to press it.  Immediately I felt my right pec stretch and give.  I screamed "NO!" at the top of my lungs.  I thought that was it, I thought for sure I had torn my pec.  I sat up and I couldn't even look Isabel in the eyes.  I was very upset, I broke out in a cold sweat and felt like I wanted to vomit.  I didn't want to lift up my shirt to look at it but I knew I had to.  I pulled off my shirt and took a look.  No bruising or discoloration and suprisingly no immediate pain, just tightness.  I tried flexing it and to my suprise it did flex.  Then I started to get some pain after a few minutes.  I was still convinced I had partially torn it even though you couldn't really see any dislocation of the pec or mis-shape. 

Isabel and I both immediately decided to go to the hospital.  I wanted to have someone look at this tonight.  I had ice on it for 2 hours and by the time the doc saw it it was very tight.  He had me go through some exercises.  I wasn't feeling much pain I just told him it was very tight.  I could still put my hand over my head, I could still resist him, and my flexibility was decent. 

The doctor said he felt I had a severe strain.  He felt that if I had injured the pec I would be in much more pain than I was.  He told me to give it 5-7 days of rest then try out my flexibility in the gym.  So right now I am cautiously optimistic.  Hopefully 48 hours will come and go with no bruising and then likely I'll be in the clear.  I felt like such a fucking moron.  I always preach about being careful in the gym and here I was, rushing through my workout, not warming up properly, and not executing the lift properly.  I have no one to blame but myself.  Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise to remind me that anyone can get injured at anytime.  Hopefully it heals up fine and I can still do a powerlifting show in the summer.  Right now the pec is pretty swollen but unless i stretch it hard there is very little pain.  I'll keep you guys updated.  I just feel like such a moron.  Isabel was really great through the whole thing, as were my buddies in the gym, I had at least 15 people tell me that they hoped I was ok on the way out, made me feel better.

So I think i'm going to have to pull out of the full meet Sad  I may do the next one when it comes up sorry guys Sad

-Layne
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 08:38:35 am »

I hope you did not seriously injure yourself and are back for the next meet.

Matt Reed
Judge

United States United States Male 251 posts
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:39:22 pm »

Injuries suck, period !!!  Hope everything turns out ok and it's not any type of tear. 
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »

Hey Layne, how's your pec feeling now? Hopefully it turned out to be nothing too serious. Now you just need to make sure Chris and Jeremy don't slack under the bar come Saturday. Wink

This things (unfortunately) happen, and pulling out of the meet was definitively a wise decision. Heal up!
Layne Norton
Registered member

United States United States Male 6 posts
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 05:06:13 pm »

unfortunately it looks like it is in fact a partial tear.  I am having an MRI done today to confirm.  will keep you all updated
Vadim Rudometov
Staff  [Russian Translator]

Moldova, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Male 7 posts
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 04:12:23 pm »

Just wanted to say hello to everybody. I respect all of you, guys. I bet you're already fine, Layne. Saw your cool videos on BB.com. Got almost scared this mid-winter too. Stretched my left peck a bit maxing out declines. Freaking nauseating crap. Angry Since I started anew last year I haven't been going for any 'heavy bench days' at all. Don't revere the bench like I did in my youth anymore. Heard somewhere that one's physique is balanced when one can clean the weight one benches. Anyway, I wish everybody safe & steady strength gains and good luck in preparation for the May BP meet! See you all!  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:19:07 pm by Domkratos » Logged

When Chuck Norris talks, everybody listens. And dies.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close