User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:44:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Christian Burger: Log 2010
(Read 89609 times)
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:48:55 am »

This log will take in the efforts to compete again at the Vienna local championship. Before deciding on any peaking routine I will use a very simple intermediate template to get in shape to retest my maxes somewhere this fall.

The base template is from http://startingstrength.wikia....om/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki intermediate material. The GPP efforts are loosely inspired by workouts I found on CrossFit.com. The Thursday workout(carrying weight plates and DBs) was inspired by an article on t-nation.com.
Oh yes I bought the book Starting Strength as well. A good investment.

Warm Up
Situps
10 x 3 @ 7,5 kg behind the head
Squat (~80% of 5 RM):
5 x 2 @ 102,5kg
Press:
4 x 1 @ 60 kg
3 x 2 @ 60 kg
Deadlift (classic style):
work up to 5 x 1 @ 155 kg
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:27:10 pm by burgerc » Logged
Christian Burger

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:49:35 am »

3 rounds of:
Farmers Walk: 2 x 15 kg DBs
Bearhug Walk: 15 kg plate
Suitcase Walk: 1 x 15 kg DB
Plate overhead: 15 kg
Sumo Walk: 1 x 15 kg DB
100 steps each
90 sec rest between rounds

Next week I will add a walk with uneven loaded DBs to the rounds.
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:32:41 pm »

This reminds me that I completely forgot to take a peek at your copy of Starting Strength during the gathering. Never heard of the Sumo Walk, how is that done?
Christian Burger

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 06:40:03 am »

I re-read the T-nation article. It can be found here: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_on...oy_you_gotta_carry_that_weight Credits to the author for posting this interesting article.
The actual names of the carries are: Farmers Walk, Bearhug Carry, Suitcase Carry, Sumo Carry, and Overhead Carry. I will add the staggered farmers walk next week.
I highly recommend buying Starting Strength. It is not specifically for powerlifting as it does not teach the pause on the bench and the sumo deadlift, but it is essential reading for lifting weight and I regret not having purchased it earlier. Get the 2nd edition. Especially the squatting section I can highly recommend. I take with me for every workout to read up on some detail I want to focus on during the lift.
The is the starting strength wiki online which gives a glimpse into the book.
The training program in Starting Strength is for beginners. however, some good hints can still be taken from it and a simpler program can be a good change.

Christian Burger

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 01:07:44 pm »

Warm Up
Situps
10 x 3 @ 7,5 kg behind the head
Squat (Goal 5 x 3, Firday is supposed to be PR day):
4 x 1 @ 135 kg
3 x 2 @ 135 kg
Bench Press:
3 x 3 @ 115 kg (Goal is 5 x 3 for next week)
Pull Ups:
11 x 1 @ BW
6 x 1 @ BW
5 x 1 @ BW (PR for the 3rd set)
BW ~92 -93
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:47:12 pm »

I re-read the T-nation article. It can be found here: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_on...oy_you_gotta_carry_that_weight Credits to the author for posting this interesting article.

...and credits to you for sharing it. I could see myself do that too, been thinking more seriously about starting to do sled work or some other form of GPP type exercise. The last year and a half I've let coding take over (which in retrospect I would not change, one must prioritize at times), but now the Gathering really kindled my urge to get back in shape. I started 5/3/1, that kind of carry work could work beautifully in place of some assistance work. But we'll see, for now I am going to do one easy cycle of 5/3/1 before I start going balls to the walls.

I highly recommend buying Starting Strength. [...] Especially the squatting section I can highly recommend.

Thanks, I will probably get me a copy. So far the best squatting review I've probably seen so far is the intro to Westside Squatting Secrets tape where Louie goes through the squat with Vogelpohl. He really covers the ground well there. Then of course, Chuck looks like he was born to squat and makes it look so easy plus the technique is of course a bit biased to sitting back in a squat suit as opposed to squatting RAW.

Anyway, good luck with your meet prep and thanks for logging it! Smiley
Christian Burger

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 12:17:12 pm »

Kris I read your Westside Squatting review. Thanks for posting it. However, I think that most of it sounds like very advanced stuff. Using a squat suit most likely will change the squat technique too. Especially once you also introduce monolift and extra wide stances. For the time being I want to stick with raw squatting until I can at least get 220kg down and up again. :-) That might take some time though.
Todays training:
Warm Up
Situps
10 x 3 @ 8,75 kg behind the head
Squat (Goal 5 x 3, Monday should not be balls to wall):
5 x 1 @ 135 kg
4 x 1 @ 135 kg
3 x 1 @ 135 kg
Bench Press:
3 x 1 @ 115 kg
4 x 1 @ 115 kg
3 x 1 @ 115 kg
Chin Ups:
12 x 1 @ BW
7 x 1 @ BW
6 x 1 @ BW
BW ~92 -93
Paloff Press to finish off.
Christian Burger

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 12:19:36 pm »

Concept II Rowing Machine:

2k: 11:07.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:13:35 pm »

Kris I read your Westside Squatting review. Thanks for posting it.

It was fun re-reading it six years later for me too. I actually stumbled on it through Google looking for a link to post for the video. Either time really flies or I am growing senile. Cheesy

However, I think that most of it sounds like very advanced stuff. Using a squat suit most likely will change the squat technique too. Especially once you also introduce monolift and extra wide stances.

Actually, this is very much an introductory tape to squatting and doing the basic assistance work Westside style. It puts a lot of emphasis on learning the movements. This tape is now sixteen years old and in a sense already old-school Westside well before the chains, bands and monolifts entered the scene. As far as the squat technique part goes, they obviously emphasis sitting back further than many RAW squatters would go (to get more stretch out of the gear) but all the rest about setting up, learning to arch the squat up etc. is pure gold (Louie has a knack for that...). Of course, up until quite recently (bench shirt inspired Metal Militia training), they also trained exclusively RAW so everything in the tapes is done without any gear. That said, I wish owning the tape would magically produce sublime squat form in anyone who sees it. Wink

For the time being I want to stick with raw squatting until I can at least get 220kg down and up again. :-) That might take some time though.

Now that sounds like quite a solid squat. With the way you've been getting stronger I think you will nail it too.
Christian Burger

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:27:17 pm »

Thanks Kris for the clarification. Also can't wait to read the write up of the gathering.

Today was DL day :-)
Warm Up: consists of 1 1/2 min of jump rope, 1 1/2 min of jumping jacks, and 1 1/2 min on a stepper
Sit Ups:
10 x 3 @ 8,75 kg
Squats:
5 x 2 @ 105 kg
Press:
5 x 1 @ 60 kg (PR for the strict version for me)
3 x 2 @ 60 kg
Sumo DL:
worked up to 5 x 1 @ 160 kg
Renegade Row
3 x 3 @ 15 kg DBs
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:55:05 pm by burgerc » Logged
Christian Burger

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 04:54:43 pm »

3 rounds of:
Farmers Walk: 2 x 15 kg DBs
Bearhug Carry: 15 kg plate
Suitcase Carry: 1 x 15 kg DB
Sumo Carry: 1 x 15 kg DB
Staggered Farmers Walk: 15 kg & 10 kg DB
Plate overhead carry: 15 kg plate

100 steps each
90 sec rest between rounds
Christian Burger

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 10:56:14 am »

Warm Up
Situps
10 x 3 @ 8,75 kg behind the head
Squat:
5 x 2 @ 137,5 kg
3 x 1 @ 137,5 kg
Bench Press:
3 x 3 @ 117,5 kg
Weighted Pull Ups:
5 x 1 @ BW + 10 kg
4 x 1 @ BW + 10 kg
2 x 1 @ BW + 10 kg
BW ~92 -93
Side Bends:
5 x 3 @ Green + Red Band
Christian Burger

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 04:18:14 pm »

Warm Ups
Situps
10 x 3 @ 10 kg
Squat:
5 x 3 @ 137,5 kg (PR for this Program)  Smiley
Bench Press
3 x 3 @ 117,5 kg
Chins
4 x 1 @ BW + 15 kg
3 x 1 @ BW + 15 kg
2 x 1 @ BW + 15 kg
Incline Russian Twists (found those on T-nation today)
3 x 3 @ 1,25 kg this exercise looks very easy but it is not easy at all. Actually it is rather a humbling experience.  Tongue
Christian Burger

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 03:59:35 pm »

Run ~ 2,6 km (5 rounds around the block) : 17m 21 sec
Christian Burger

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 04:40:19 pm »

Warm Up
Situps:
10 x 3 @ 10 kg
Squat:
5 x 2 @ 105 kg
Press:
5 x 2 @ 60 kg
2 x 1 @ 60 kg (nothing left in the shoulders  Tongue)
DL classic:
work up to 5 x 1 @ 157,5 kg
Renegade row:
4 x 1 @ 15 kg DBs
3 x 2 @ 15 kg DBs
Pulling an improvised sled (punctured workout mat and a green and blue band to fix the weight plate and pull it) with 20 kg plate for 5 min to finish the training session.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Close