User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:45:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Hard drive failure - resolved
(Read 4199 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: May 06, 2008, 06:49:42 am »

The Virtualmeet.net server crashed the night between Saturday and Sunday my local time. The problem turned out to be corrupted sectors on one of the two hard drives that caused an essential system directory to be corrupted. The server has been up and running 24/7 since 2005, so frankly it is not very surprising that one drive had enough. Unfortunately, the data was also corrupted on the healthy fallback drive.

I had both drives replaced and restored all system services from the latest backup. Unfortunately, the downloading speed from the backup server was very slow causing the 15GB backup to take 12 hours to transfer. To top that off, I accidentally deleted the backup file and had to download it again (luckily at somewhat better speeds). The system went down as the nightly backup was being transferred to the backup server, so the latest available backup was some 20 hours old. It is possible that a few posts were lost, apologies if so.

In any case, we are now back on fresh drives and ready to kick off the May bench meets. I will update all lifters today.

Thanks for your patience!  Smiley

EDIT: This announcement was reposted after an additional database restore and will appear as a new topic to those who already read it earlier.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 06:53:56 am by kris » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close