User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:23:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
RULE CHANGE
(Read 8562 times)
Ryan Rigdon
Judge

United States United States Male 308 posts
« on: March 09, 2010, 03:55:04 am »

I THINK THE RULE FOR NOT ALLOWING US LIFTERS NOT TO USE KNEE WRAPS SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT. ITS NOT FAIR. I WILL NOT COMPETE IN ANY MEETS THAT DOES NOT AT LEAST ALLOW THIS. REMEMBER THE KEY THING HERE IS SAFETY. KNEE WRAPS ARE A PART OF POWERLIFTING WHY CANT EVERYONE SEE THAT. EVEN IN RAW DIVISIONS HERE IN THE U.S. THEY ALLOW THEM. BUT HEY THIS IS ONLY MY TWO CENT WORTH. THOUGHT I WOULD LET EVERYONE KNOW EXACTLY HOW I FEEL. Grin
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:45:48 pm »

Hi Ryan, thanks for the feedback. Smiley

Knee wraps are a bit of a water divider. They are legal in some RAW divisions, but last time I checked they are generally not legal in RAW meets (including those of 100% RAW, although according to this interview with president Paul Bossi they have voted on the issue several times). So as sorry I am to say this, I don't see us adding them to the list of meet equipment in the near future either. If RAW at large starts embracing knee wraps, we will probably follow that trend.

Your point on safety is a very valid one though. I see the wraps as being in the same category as, say, bench shirts. Shirts have proven to take a lot of stress off the shoulder joints thus lowering the risk of shoulder injuries and allowing lifters to stay in the game longer (arguably, shirts also introduce their own set of risks related to the bar getting out of control and the shirt blowing, but that's a different question). The point is that while equipment can improve safety, the whole point of RAW is to go at it... well, without it (a belt being the notable exception).

That said, I am working on some concept changes that in the nearish future may mean that anyone can start up their own meets on this platform. While it is too early to discuss specifics, that may be one way to open up meets under different rules if anyone is interested in pursuing that.
Christian Burger
Staff  [Moderator, German Translator]

Austria Austria Male 598 posts
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 02:31:35 pm »

I would see a judging problem with knee wraps. Depending on length they give different levels of support. That would be hard to judge from a video clip.
Ryan Rigdon
Judge

United States United States Male 308 posts
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:19:29 am »

Hi Ryan, thanks for the feedback. Smiley

Knee wraps are a bit of a water divider. They are legal in some RAW divisions, but last time I checked they are generally not legal in RAW meets (including those of 100% RAW, although according to this interview with president Paul Bossi they have voted on the issue several times). So as sorry I am to say this, I don't see us adding them to the list of meet equipment in the near future either. If RAW at large starts embracing knee wraps, we will probably follow that trend.

Your point on safety is a very valid one though. I see the wraps as being in the same category as, say, bench shirts. Shirts have proven to take a lot of stress off the shoulder joints thus lowering the risk of shoulder injuries and allowing lifters to stay in the game longer (arguably, shirts also introduce their own set of risks related to the bar getting out of control and the shirt blowing, but that's a different question). The point is that while equipment can improve safety, the whole point of RAW is to go at it... well, without it (a belt being the notable exception).

That said, I am working on some concept changes that in the nearish future may mean that anyone can start up their own meets on this platform. While it is too early to discuss specifics, that may be one way to open up meets under different rules if anyone is interested in pursuing that.

I UNDERSTAND. JUST I HAVE SEEN TO MANY PEOPLE BLOW KNEES. I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH 100% RAW NORE WILL I BUT HEY THATS OUR RIGHT TO CHOSE WHERE WE SEE FIT.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close