User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:04:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1]
Print
Program for a total weightlifting newbie?
(Read 9354 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:13:47 pm »

So... motivated by the great spirit and action from our first weightlifting meet, I have set my target on the weightlifting meet in April. My own training has pretty much gone down the drain for the last 10 months, partially due to back issues, but mostly due to moving, getting a second child, getting a new job and the demands of Virtualmeet.net. It's time to seriously get back into the mix and learning something new seems like a good way of doing so. I also hope the overall lighter loads on the weightlifts will be a good way of getting my back re-adjusted and strengthened for the powerlifts. I am a chronic back case, but I've learned to live and train around decently.

I haven't snatched or cleaned and jerked, so I'm pretty green (did overhead squats once though, so I realize the challenge involved here...). I have decent body control though after years of martial arts, decent flexibility and have no problems squatting ass to the grass; so I think I stand a decent shot of picking up a basic technique. I have a few years of Milo and several translated Russian weightlifting texts so I have some sources of information on the technicalities of the lifts, but I would also appreciate any web site or book/DVD suggestions anyone may have. I know that getting a coach would be the best route to go, but with my current schedule (I usually train 23pm to midnight) it's a no go. I plan to upload video clips here if anyone is willing to give me feedback though.

Also, I would like to do work on my bench press max with the aim of doing the military bench meet in February 2009. Skipping most dedicated squat / deadlift work while focusing on the weightlifts is probably a good idea. My lifts are about 25kg down anyway, so I am not too concerned with those at the moment.  Grin

So my question is: does anyone have any suggestions for how a weightlifting newbie such as myself should start out? I was thinking about learning the Hang power snatch and Hang power clean first, then gradually starting light work on the main lifts. But really, I have no idea. HEEELP!  Huh
Matt Reed
Judge

United States United States Male 251 posts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

This link was posted on another website, but I think it has a lot of good information Click Here !!

Hopefully that link helps a little as far as maybe where to start and what exercises to begin.

The only thing I thought that was missing was OH Squats.  If you ask me that is one hard movement to master, probably just me though.  So I think the OH Squat should be done at every session.

Here is Another Good Site that has videos of most of the lifts.
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 11:00:58 pm »

Thanks Matt, extremely helpful links. The 6-week beginner program looks like it may be a good place to start. It's twice a week which will be a good way to get back into regular training without overdoing it. The video link was great too as the lifts are not only shown but also explained.

About the OH squat: it's not just you. Grin
Matt Reed
Judge

United States United States Male 251 posts
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:06:21 am »

About the OH squat: it's not just you. Grin

For me it must be a flexibility issue or something.  When I get down in the hole I lose the weight forward and I want to bend at the elbows, even with an empty bar Sad
Warren Djemal
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 88 posts
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:09:49 pm »

This newsletter from Dan John's website should help: real simple oly program for beginners.

http://danjohn.org/best.pdf
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Close