User
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:04:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

As of early 2013, we are still in the process of rebooting unto the new platform

If you want to keep track of the relaunch you can:

1. Like us on Facebook
  2. Follow us on Twitter
  3. Send me (Kris) an e-mail and let me know that you'd like to join the new site when it is ready.

Once we are ready to relaunch, we will start spreading the word. Until then, expect silence to mean we are heads down coding. :) The forum is still open for active members, but don't expect a lot of activity here since meets are currently on hold.

Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
DISCUSSION: Weightlifting, 26-28 June 2009
(Read 29589 times)
Kristoffer Lindqvist
Staff  [Project Manager, Developer, Moderator, Swedish Translator]

Finland Finland Male 1178 posts
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:00:40 pm »

All and anything related to the 26-28 June 2009 Weightlifting meet is welcome here.

To register for the meet, click here.
Thomas Thekan
Registered member

Canada Canada Male 20 posts
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:37:27 am »

Don't you have the dates mixed up. The proposed schedule shows the PL meet in June and the WL meet in July.

TNT
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:47:44 am »

Don't you have the dates mixed up. The proposed schedule shows the PL meet in June and the WL meet in July.

TNT

That was the first proposal yes. But if you scroll down that thread you'll see that the two meets were switched in the final version in November 2008. The schedule was then posted on the meets page which is the authoritative list of events.

Hope this doesn't mix things up on your end. 
Thomas Thekan
Registered member

Canada Canada Male 20 posts
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 03:03:49 pm »

TNT

That was the first proposal yes. But if you scroll down that thread you'll see that the two meets were switched in the final version in November 2008. The schedule was then posted on the meets page which is the authoritative list of events.

Hope this doesn't mix things up on your end. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh......yup it does. My error. We were preparing for a PL meet.

Several of the girls hit Personal Bests on Monday and now we're beginning the taper leading up to June 26-28. This will probably be their last lifting training block before the fall rowing season so they will just go for team bragging rights that weekend.

TNT

TNT
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 06:45:33 pm »

Now that's what I call an unfortunate mix-up.  Sad

In practice, the two meets are still only two weeks apart so from a physical standpoint the girls should be able to stay in PR shape with very little training, even if you finish the peaking according to schedule. This would actually be a pretty good exercise in itself as staying sharp over a few meets close to one another is part of the competitive game for many lifters. But of course, if this messes up the rowing schedule it's naturally a no-go. Just a thought.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 08:39:48 pm »

Ok, the final line-up has now been posted. All participants should have received the usual e-mail with the upload details (if not, e-mail me at kris@virtualmeet.net ASAP). We are still missing judges, as usual we should be clear on that front too come meet time.

Have a great one everyone!

PS. Jeff: planning on lifting outdoors again? Smiley
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:07:29 am »

Weather permitting...  There hasn't been a day here in the last week that we haven't had thundershowers but right now the forecast looks promising.

I'll have to talk to my meet director (wife) about locations, I'm hoping to setup somewhere with Boivin creek in the background.  Preferably somewhere I don't have to drag the weights too far.

Small turn out for this meet.  This really seems like a busy weekend, I had a couple friends bail because of other events going on.  Hopefully next time I'll get 'em out.

Warren Djemal
Lifter

United Kingdom United Kingdom Male 88 posts
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 02:48:45 pm »

At least the judging won't take long. I'm going to try lifting in my garden if it doesn't rain.

Also, I can only come first, second or third!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:47:11 pm by warren » Logged
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:24 pm »

We will soon need to make an "outdoor lifter" badge or something that those who like dragging their iron outside for virtualmeets could add to their lifter profile. Once you try outdoor meets, there's no going inside again... unless it's winter or rains really hard.  Grin

That said, it's unfortunate that setting up a powerlifting meet outside is not as easy as a weightlifting one.

Anyway, good news! Ramon again volunteered to judge. Thanks a lot for your continued support. Smiley Still looking for two more judges, but so far so great.
Warren Djemal
Lifter

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »

All I need to do now is find a level spot, they're few and far between as I live on a hill!

Lifting outdoors is great, I save so much energy each workout dumping the bar rather than being forced to lower it carefully. Last time I put myself out of action for 3 weeks trying to lower a failed jerk.

What happens if there's not enough judges?
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:44:27 pm »

What happens if there's not enough judges?

To date that has never happened. But should we not have enough judges come judging time then the judging will simply wait until we do. The worst case scenario is that the meet gets delayed a bit, but we are not in the business of canceling meets.

Getting all judge slots filled before the meet sign-up deadline is still a rarity, but fortunately we have a pool of nice people who tend to say yes when asked kindly. Smiley
Jeff Sutherland
Lifter

Canada Canada Male 104 posts
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 02:34:02 am »

Well, meet should hopefully be uploaded, unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and I was forced to stay indoors.

edit: won't discuss till judging is complete...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 06:09:09 am by Weeflerunner » Logged
Warren Djemal
Lifter

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 10:50:40 pm »

Did my lifts just before a massive storm. There was a thunderclap before one of my snatches I think. Wanted to time thunder, lightning and a new PR simultaneously!
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 10:28:23 pm »

Three lifters are now successfully uploaded. Seems like this was a pretty rainy weekend in both Europe and North America... we had some intermittent showers here as well. Let's hope for good weather for the upcoming powerlifting meet as those of us lifting at the gathering won't have an indoor option. Smiley

Another update in a day or two regarding the release timetable for this meet. I should know a lot more about judges etc. then.
Kristoffer Lindqvist

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 01:32:37 pm »

Judge update: Jamie Jamieson and Brent Kim have stepped in as judges. This is the third time they are coming to the rescue, thanks guys! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Close